Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#416381 08/20/02 03:41 PM
A
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
A
Anyone experience wheel shaking @ 65-75mph with balanced wheels? I've had my wheels balanced twice (both times zero out) and the shaking persists. A local shop said they tried to diagnose a Mercury mystique with the same problem and they could not fix it. They checked the half-shafts and bearings, and finally attributed it to the transmission?

Wondering if anyone else had this problem/how they fixed it.

Thanks

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Do u have the same tires all around ??

before I had Michelin in the back and Dunlops on the front... they were different speed ratings...

I had this "shaking"... the guy at the tireshop told me the problem was different speed ratings...

Anything is POSSIBLE... sowing the seeds of love"
A
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
A
Interesting: never heard of that before.

I have all 4 factory firestones on zero balanced factory rims and I get the shake. I first noticed it on my aftermarket rims with 4 goodyear F1's so I'm positive this isn't coming from the rims/tires.

R
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
R
Same here, I have a 99 Mystique and it starts shaking around 60. I've been dealing with that for the past year. My tires are the same all around, I wish it was just a tire issue.

Last edited by rubn24; 08/20/02 04:04 PM.
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Outer tie rod ends. ~$35 each. Give it a whirl.

-06 GTO Torrid Red/M6 -98 LS with BPU -05 Honda Odyssey EX-L mv .zig ..\for\great\.justice
G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
I also have the same problem. The car will shake slightly around 65-75 mph.

My car also has the same tires up front as in the back.

I have heard that it is possible that this will occur if the wheel nuts are not put on with the proper torque.

Weird thing is that sometimes it is more pronounced than others.

Last edited by GeoPappas; 08/20/02 06:30 PM.

96 Contour SE Duratec V6 24-valve 2.5L ATX 108,000 mi. Replaced: crankshaft w/ DMD, EGR valve (clogged), EVR, DPFE, PCV valve, evap emissions hose & tube (cracked), window regulator (broken), LH & RH PCV tubes, UIM gasket (leak), ignition coil
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
I'm with ya guys I've also had this for a while. New tires didn't cure it.

Outer tie rod ends, eh? hmmmm

How many Vs would a VTEC TEC if a VTEC could TEC Vs? The one, the only....FRNKNFORD http://www.westvalleycs.com
A
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
A
Last time I got the tires balanced they said one of my ends was bent so they replaced it. I still get the shake, but maybe the other one is bent as well. Not what I would've expected to fix it.

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
You can check your tie rod ends by jacking one side of the car. Grab the front tire at the 9 and 3 o-clock position and see if there is any play when you push/pull on tire. Grab it at the top/bottom to check the lower ball joint. You may get a very small bit of movement from the wheel bearings.

Scott 95 SE-2.5L ATX (Sold, but not forgotten...)
A
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
A
tw0wheelin has the cheapest diagnosis option. I like it. If I do get a shake then replacing my bearings/tie-rod ends would be my next step. Hopefully it's all under $100.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard