Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Take a look at picture 09

IIRC this is the sensor... not sure... it is pretty simple to change it... but I wouldn't suggest you to do it... it didn't help me at all...

Look for picture #09

Anything is POSSIBLE... sowing the seeds of love"
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Okay, maybe I talked to soon. From what I can tell, Ford replaced the fan motor, wiring harness, coolant temperature sensor, and probably even the resistor, on the 95 Mystique. But, there's still something that doesn't seem to be quite right. In the morning, ambient temperature around 70, on a 10 mile drive to work, running 45-60 mph, the temp gauge stays around the R or M. In the afternoon, temperature around 95-100, same 45-60 mph, the temp gauge stays around the A or L. Sound familiar?

95 Contour Zetec, ATX (wrecked, sitting in the barn) 95 Mystique Zetec, MTX 2000 Taurus SEL 3.0L Duratec 1994 Crown Victoria LX 4.6 V8 1993 Chevy Silverado 4.3 V6
J
OP Offline
J
Sure does. I have also had another item arise. What I thought was a 'test switch' actually seems to be a loose connection. I have to wiggle the connector and press it towards the fan and the fan comes on. Sometimes I have even gotten it tight enough that it goes on/off with the A/C like it is supposed to when the engine is cold but usually it is full on or full off. When it is working I see the same results you described but driving usually works it loose and my car is running between L and red when I get home. There does not seem to be any slack in the wiring that connects to the fan motor, do they cut wiring when they perform the fix?

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
I didn't see any evidence of cut wiring, but I really didn't look that close. It seemed to just be a 'plug in' type of operation. I'll try to look tonight when I have that car again. The part that you thought was a 'test switch': could this be the resistor that determines the fan speed? My original one was overheated and charred...

95 Contour Zetec, ATX (wrecked, sitting in the barn) 95 Mystique Zetec, MTX 2000 Taurus SEL 3.0L Duratec 1994 Crown Victoria LX 4.6 V8 1993 Chevy Silverado 4.3 V6
J
OP Offline
J
It is a black plastic frame with 3 yellow fins in it. If you would like I can upload a picture of it tonight when I get home. I certainly appreciate all of your communications on this!

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Yeah, that's the part I'm remembering. I think it determines the fan speed. I used the Haynes manual, to try and figure out what the thing was, and I finally decided it must be a resistor. If I remember right, it should have two wires going in to the top of it, and only one wire coming out the bottom. Or maybe it's three going in the top, and two coming out the bottom. Anyway, if squeezing it or wiggling it makes the fan go on and off, it sounds like something isn't quite right inside the unit. For what it's worth, Haynes says that if the fan works when hooked up directly, then the problem must be in the coolant temperature sensor, the wiring harness, or the engine management system. That could be about anywhere. Hope this helps.

J
OP Offline
J
I'm sorry, you lost me. So are you saying that you think the problem could be about anywhere or are you saying that it is probably the resistor itself? Don't worry, I won't hold you to any of this! :->

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Sorry. I just meant that if the problem is "somewhere" in the wiring harness or engine management system, as Haynes suggested, then that could mean a lot of places....But, in my opinion, it does sound like you have a problem in the resistor.....just my opinion.

J
OP Offline
J
Thanks! I will go about troubleshooting starting there and let you know how it goes!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard