Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
OP Offline
J
I have a 1995 Contour 2.0L 4cyl. It recently began running very hot in stop/go traffic. The temp usually runs between the M and the A of Normal in the guage. Now, when I get in stop and go traffic (doesn't seem to matter what the weather is) the temp climbs and if I don't get out of the traffic soon it goes into the red. Any (cheap) ideas?

Thanks

G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
Is your coolant topped off? Are you loosing coolant?

Also, when you add coolant, are you adding a 50/50 mixture? Pure water or pure coolant doesn't cool as well as a 50/50 mixture.

96 Contour SE Duratec V6 24-valve 2.5L ATX 108,000 mi. Replaced: crankshaft w/ DMD, EGR valve (clogged), EVR, DPFE, PCV valve, evap emissions hose & tube (cracked), window regulator (broken), LH & RH PCV tubes, UIM gasket (leak), ignition coil
K
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
K
Im not sure what your problem is, could be a thermostat, you probably already had it checked however until you find the problem see if turning your heater fan on high and on heat this will take some of the coolant from the engine and help cool her down through the heater core. This is not a fix but just a bandaid so you dont overheat.

J
OP Offline
J
I actually just flushed/filled the coolant when this problem started to occur. I am concerned that the cooling fan does not seem to be coming on. It runs if I press on the 'test' switch but I don't think it is working when it needs to. Is there a sensor or anything that might be bad?

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by jamesbury:
I actually just flushed/filled the coolant when this problem started to occur. I am concerned that the cooling fan does not seem to be coming on. It runs if I press on the 'test' switch but I don't think it is working when it needs to. Is there a sensor or anything that might be bad?

Hey.. let me know if you find something...

My first question at CEG was about that...

A lot of people told me that if it is under "normal" it is NORMAL...

I hate to have the engine running that hot in traffic... u know what I do?? I turn on the A/C and then the fan kicks on...

BTW, I chanaged the temperature sensor that goes by the thermostat... I think... that was like 3 years ago... I assumed the fan was kicking on too late... but even with the new sensor the fan was kicking on late... I guess that is a Ford design issue...

Anything is POSSIBLE... sowing the seeds of love"
J
OP Offline
J
Can you tell me where I can find info on how to change the temp sensor? Anyway, on hot days (90+) it has gotten into the red and I have turned the defrost on full blast with the windows down (not fun in traffic on 90+ degree day!) and this cooled it off. Also, when the engine is cold in the morning and I turn on the ac in my driveway the cooling fan does not turn on, is that important?

D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
I just had the same problem with my 99 SVT. I noticed that the cooling fan fuse was blown, so I got it replaced and then the new one blew. Turns out the fan was binding up and blowing the fuse. $500 later ($300 for the fan and $200 for labor) the fan works and my car is running where it used to run.

1999 Contour SVT #1966/2760, Silver Frost/Midnight Blue Koni Kit, Mille Miglia MM-S rims, B&M shifter, Stazi mesh, SFCs, optimized Y-pipe & TB, SS break lines, K&N drop-in, Infinity Kappa speakers, MTX amp/sub
J
OP Offline
J
I call it the test switch but there is a bracket type thing attached to a wire going to the fan that when squeezed makes the fan run (until released). Would this still work if the fuse was blown?

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Sounds like the radiator fan to me. There is a recall out for that part (well, I think it's more like an extended warranty, something like 10 years or 100,000 miles). I had the warranty done on a 95 Mystique last week, for the exact same problem. Ford replaced fan, wiring harness, etc. I'm having the same repair done today on a 95 contour. Same exact problem you are having. In traffic, on hot days, the car ran hot. The fan was not coming on to cool the radiator. I suppose when I was driving at highway speeds, there was enough air flow to cool the system. Anyway, Ford did the repairs at no cost.

95 Contour Zetec, ATX (wrecked, sitting in the barn) 95 Mystique Zetec, MTX 2000 Taurus SEL 3.0L Duratec 1994 Crown Victoria LX 4.6 V8 1993 Chevy Silverado 4.3 V6
J
OP Offline
J
You are right, I had mine replaced in April/May. I guess maybe it is another bad one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard