Print Thread
#415772 08/20/02 02:23 AM
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
Hi there,

After 5-3/4 years the cat-converter felt enough to be in the same jacket, so it dumped it - the entire bottom heat shield fell, as its surround where the shield meets the rim of the cat was all rusted. Can someone tell if it's okay to let the cat be naked that way? The top shield is fine, BTW. Thanks for any input!

1997 Contour Sport Duratec MTX 2000 Olds Intrigue GLS Sterling Edition
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
Originally posted by sylin:
Hi there,

After 5-3/4 years the cat-converter felt enough to be in the same jacket, so it dumped it - the entire bottom heat shield fell, as its surround where the shield meets the rim of the cat was all rusted. Can someone tell if it's okay to let the cat be naked that way? The top shield is fine, BTW. Thanks for any input!

We aren't allowed to talk about naked cats here, this is a family forum.

I drove my Miata with no lower cat shield for ages. Then the top one came loose and started rattling, so I snipped the rest of that off too. I never did notice any difference, but then the previous owner had put some sort of thermal foil under the carpet anyway.

Just don't park over grass or anything flammable and you'll be OK.

Two Red Tours! (Oops, No Red Tours!) '03 Subaru Forester X 5-speed '02 SVT Focus - not fast, just fun!
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I believe you might have a problem with it heating up the oil pan, and the oil that might be in said pan. Isnt that why people were looking into making a heatshield for the catless Sho-shop Y-pipes??? -Nick

"Moore has also accused the American people of being the stupidest, most naive people on the face of the Earth. And after last weekend, he's got the box office numbers to prove it!"
P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
Originally posted by 99blacksesport:
I believe you might have a problem with it heating up the oil pan, and the oil that might be in said pan. Isnt that why people were looking into making a heatshield for the catless Sho-shop Y-pipes??? -Nick

No, that was for any aftermarket Y pipe (catless or not, any brand), as the heatshielding material in the stock Y pipe is not retained at the oil pan. Different heatshield than what is being talked about here.

P
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
P
Your cat is shedding, eh?

Watch out for hairballs.

L
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
L
My '92 Mustang lost top and bottom sheilds for the RF cat about five years ago, no problem so far. Car is driven daily.

'98.5 SVT E1 T-Red, Midnight Blue All stock

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard