Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
$
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
$
What the hell! I get in my car and try to close my sunroof and nothing. No noise no nothing. Anyone else have this problem? I couldn't find any fuse to replace so I'm out of ideas.

99 Red SVT Weapon R intake-Ground Control coilovers-Superchip-resonator removed****Rat Bastards stole my Si so I bought a S V T****
I
CEG'er
CEG'er
I
i got mine used and in like a week the sunroof broke like that(thank god it was closed). the dealer replaced the motor that drives the sunroof and it has been perfect ever sence. you might want to try that before it rains otherwise its good ol'duct tape to the rescue yet again.

D
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
D
Not uncommon. I am on my third motor in two years.
Another person whent through 4 motors in one summer season alone.

Ford and Webasto are aware of the problem. Most likely the roof was stuck in the vent position.

The cables are in a bind in this position and strain the motor to close it. Eventually the windings will overheat, for lack of a better turn. This condition occurs most often in the summer season. I have been able to get it to close after sitting all night. It will then open up once more, and get stuck.

Last time I checked, the motors are around $300 from Ford, and they bought all of the technology rights from Webasto, which means we're stuck with dealership prices.

This particular model is still being produced for the Jag X-Type and the Mondeo's, but Webasto had no plans of a redesign, as of January.

Regards,
David

L
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
L
Happened to me too.

You can close the roof manualy:
Take off the over head console.
Next remove the motor assembly.
Carefully turn the spline shaft with a pair of pliers to close the roof. Try hard to NOT damage the splines. Wrap the plier jaws with duct tape.

'98.5 SVT E1 T-Red, Midnight Blue All stock
J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J

The old forum had a good artical on the problem.
The main problem is the worm drive in the motor uses plastic gears.

I removed my roof console and just wiggeled the motor assembly and the motor started working again.

To remove the roof console you have to pry out the dome light/reading assembly with a screw driver. Pry on the rear corners only. When the light assemble pops out you will see two screws. Remove them and slide the console toward the rear of the car.

Tap on the motor with a wrench, there could be a deadspot in the motor. Then wiggel it with your hands.

------------------------------------------------- 1996SE sports package, Duratec MTX No mods yet. 80K Kilometers. ------------------------------------------------- Wife has 1996GL Zetec ATX.
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
I'd put my money on a blown motor. Mine blew out one day when I hit the button the wrong direction to close the roof from the vent position. Heard an awful noise and then nothing. Spent a Saturday morning at the dealer waiting for them to fix my roof because it was supposed to rain later that day. Piece of crap.

-CtrAltDel

'00 SVT Contour Silver Frost/Midnight Blue #794/2150 12/8/99
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
actually its not the motor blowing most of the time its the plastic gears inside the motor that can be fixed..i believe it was chris hightower that had a step by step fix of the plastic gears before the old forums went down..it was very helpful..and can save you a bundle not having to go to the dealer...maybe someone can repost this on this thread...

new,new ride! '99 svt black/mnb '95 mustang gt sold! '98 svt #800 sold!
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by chrisilversvt:
actually its not the motor blowing most of the time its the plastic gears inside the motor that can be fixed..i believe it was chris hightower that had a step by step fix of the plastic gears before the old forums went down..it was very helpful..and can save you a bundle not having to go to the dealer...maybe someone can repost this on this thread...

I am familar with the gear problem, but... If he doesn't hear anything when he hits the switch then the motor isn't running. If the gears are melted the motor should still spin and make noise. If the motor isn't running at all your left with three posibilities.
1) Blown fuse - but this is easy because the sunroof shares a fuse with (something, can't remember what), but if everything else on the car works it isn't the fuse.
2) Switch that doesn't work. This is possible I guess but most of the time it is...
3) Blown cheap-a$$ POS electric motor.

-CtrAltDel

'00 SVT Contour Silver Frost/Midnight Blue #794/2150 12/8/99
J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
I simple test to check that your sunroof is getting power is to turn on your dome light. When you hit the sunroof switch the light will dim as the motor draws current (engine running ofcoarse).

If the light does not dim, them motor is not getting power.

------------------------------------------------- 1996SE sports package, Duratec MTX No mods yet. 80K Kilometers. ------------------------------------------------- Wife has 1996GL Zetec ATX.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard