Print Thread
#415435 08/19/02 09:04 PM
J
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
J
Hi everyone ... could use some help.

My CEL has gone on two or three times in the past couple of months. Loosening and retightening the gas cap solved the problem the first couple of times (it did take three complete warmup/cooldown cycles).

This time, however, that did not solve the problem. I am using good quality fuel and have refilled since it lit this time.

I have noticed something that makes me think it is the cap itself. Used to be when I loosened the cap I could hear the vacuum release and air escaping (or is that being sucked in?). However, I am not hearing that anymore at all.

Am I on the right track? I really don't want to have to take it in for this if I can avoid it (I'm on bloody vacation and am leaving town later in the week ... the plan was the car, some twisties, and then some moutnain biking ).

Thanks,

1999 CSVT, no performance mods.

JohnnyCanuck 1999 SVT
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Take it to autozone or pep boys and ask them to scan the error code. That's the only way to know why the light gets turned on. They should have a generic description of the fault, but get the exact code number and post it. Someone on CEG will be able to give you some advice or you look it up here.

Scott 95 SE-2.5L ATX (Sold, but not forgotten...)
P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
Check the list of CEL codes on the main page. It can be any of hundreds of things, and you are just guessing until you get the code. If the CEL isn't on when you go to get it read, then look for "Freeze Frame", which will tell you what the code was (as well as a number of different sensor readings when the CEL lit).

J
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
J
Looks like I am going to have to take it to the dealer. Was hoping to avoid the time, but I probably don't have much choice.

There isn't a pepboys or autozone around here ....

Thanks,

JohnnyCanuck 1999 SVT
G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck:
Looks like I am going to have to take it to the dealer.

If you have a laptop/computer, you might want to consider buying software that will read CELs for you.

For the amount of money that you will pay the dealer to read the code once, you can buy the softare and read any CEL code that you have from now on. Plus, you can also use it to diagnose other problems.

Vehicle Explorer is one example of this kind of software. You can read about it at http://www.obd-2.com

96 Contour SE Duratec V6 24-valve 2.5L ATX 108,000 mi. Replaced: crankshaft w/ DMD, EGR valve (clogged), EVR, DPFE, PCV valve, evap emissions hose & tube (cracked), window regulator (broken), LH & RH PCV tubes, UIM gasket (leak), ignition coil
J
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
J
I currently have the very same problem and have not yet seen the dealer or obtained an OBDII code reader. I am very interested in the outcome of your vist to the dealer and also want ot know about ant OBDII tools that use a PALM PDA to read the results.

98 Mystique 2.5 5 Speed Bridgestone Potenzas New upstream O2s, new CamPosSens JVC CD DECK, PIONEER SPEAKERS
J
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
J
Well ...

It went out two days after my last fill so I am back to thinking it is air in the gas tank. I have put on a new gas cap and hopefully that will resolve it.

Thanks for everyone's help.

JohnnyCanuck 1999 SVT
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by jcmac:
I currently have the very same problem and have not yet seen the dealer or obtained an OBDII code reader. I am very interested in the outcome of your vist to the dealer and also want ot know about ant OBDII tools that use a PALM PDA to read the results.

There are a ton of them. Do a goole search for: +palm +obdII.

I'm a little bit skeptical that a palm program is going to be as capable as a laptop. Even so, it would definitely be pretty cool to drive around with your palm displaying all kinds of neat looking graphs
Seriously though, is there someone who's used one of these and can recommend a certain software or tell us if it worked and how well?

-CtrAltDel

'00 SVT Contour Silver Frost/Midnight Blue #794/2150 12/8/99
J
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
J
Well, back to the gas cap stuff. I got a new gas cap and the light went out ...for a while, then it came back with a vengeance. I had the codes pulled at a performance "honda" shop. It seems that the gas tank evap control system is now OK. But there are issues with upstream bank one HO2 sensor. These codes were cleared then the CEL disappeared fro a day or so and is now back on. I really think a code reader would be verrrry helpful in eliminating the bad sensors one at a time rather than replacing everyhing in sight at a garage/dealer.
1. Would it be better to replace both upstream o2 sensors at once or only the one pushing codes. Also, do we have only 1 downstream sensor or 2.

2. Please, lets get some Palm OBDII user feedback..

John

98 Mystique 2.5 5 Speed Bridgestone Potenzas New upstream O2s, new CamPosSens JVC CD DECK, PIONEER SPEAKERS
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
The code number would be helpful in determining what your problems is, But the V6 has a bank 1 and a bank 2. There is 1 upstream, and 1 downstream sensor for each bank. Your fault seems to be with the upstream (before the pre-cat) sensor on the bank that is closes to the firewall. This is hard to reach but can be replaced in about 20 minutes following the info in the how-to section of the main CEG page. A code reader can not eliminate bad sensors. It can only read (& clear) the fault codes caused by improper readings from these sensors. If the sensor is bad, the fault will just come back again. Upsteam sensors seem to go out most often and cost about $60 at autozone who can read your codes for free.

Scott 95 SE-2.5L ATX (Sold, but not forgotten...)

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard