Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Hi there,

My steering rack has apparently blown ALL of it's seals (one of the tie-rod boots was swelled up like a water balloon with power steering juice). Is this common? It is definitely financially unpleasant.

98 Silver Frost SVT 97 BMW 540I Sport, six speed "Blue is for sky, black is for soil, and white is for simplicity, purity and hope for the future" "A coveted car should never stunt your life, but should make it more rich and interesting."
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
I've begun noticing an issue with my SVT's steering - first happened about a month or so ago, and has been happening with an increasing frequency.

If I am in a low-speed situation - like maneuvering into a parking spot or something of that nature - if I turn the wheel hard to the right (not hard enough to hit the stops, but pretty close) I'll hear a brief transient sound - almost like the "moosing" sound, but it will only last about .5 to .75 of a second.

I'll be bringing that up with my dealer when I next go there; thankfully, I have an extended warranty for another 18K miles.

1998 E1 SVT - Toreador Red Production #4794 of 6535 Build date: 2/25/1998
E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
Phil, did you by any chance buy your SVT used from some dude in Barrhaven named Laughlin?

I ask as I remember seeing an ad the the local rag in late winter for a 98 SVT, and I suspected it was his.

In any case, it's unfortunate that you've had problems with yours. I alternate daily it seems between loving mine and spitting on it - today's problems include a jumpy idle (low, low, and lower than 750 rpm) and likely a motor mount that's packing it in...

Time to call Campbell!

98 SVT Contour #1702 (silver) - traded in & missed alot! 02 SVT Focus #2686 (blue) - beginning to enjoy the 4-banger.
U
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
U
I had to get my rack replaced @3k

2k silver svt #1721 Ignorance breeds stupidity..
K
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
K
My SVT has had a problem where, in really low speed manuvers with large amounts of steering lock it would make this loud MOOOing sound. It usually lasts about a second. It only happens occassionally.

It has done this from day one. There seems to be more friction in the steering system when it happens, but it goes away so quickly and is so hard to replicate that I never bothered to see the dealer.

The good news is that it doesn't do it any more frequently now that the car has 60,000 km on it.

Kerry

99 SVT Contour Silver Frost, #365/2760, DMD 98 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro Tiptronic, 30V -- SOLD! 91 Isuzu Impulse XS Kammback, Handling By Lotus Victoria, BC, Canada
B
Learned patience the hard way
Learned patience the hard way
B
Hey man, if you're in need of a rack I've got a used one for sale off my 2000 SVT it has about 30K on it and worked fine when I took it off (totaled the car in a rollover). Let me know if you're interested.

Rick

Owner of 00 #1611 Silver (Totalled) 98.5 T-Red SVT #6180 Buckshot77@msn.com Misc 3L parts for sale
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
All Fords have noisy P/S pumps,even from new,on full lock the noise you here is the pressure relief valve 'blowing off'....normal..

K
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
K
Thanks Terry. I am familiar with the Ford power steering sound at full lock. This particular noise (the MOOO) is very loud - like about the same as having your stereo 1/3 of the way up. Startlingly loud.

Kerry

99 SVT Contour Silver Frost, #365/2760, DMD 98 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro Tiptronic, 30V -- SOLD! 91 Isuzu Impulse XS Kammback, Handling By Lotus Victoria, BC, Canada
T
TGO Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
In reply to:

if I turn the wheel hard to the right (not hard enough to hit the stops, but pretty close) I'll hear a brief transient sound - almost like the "moosing" sound, but it will only last about .5 to .75 of a second.

Mine does the exact same thing, I usually notice it during u-turns or extremely tight parking situations. It's usually offset by my fury over not being able to get the car in to 1st or reverse!!!!!!

1999 Silver Frost SVT #609 of 2760 Quaife, lightened SVT Flywheel, SPEC stage II clutch, removed resonator, k&n drop in - various other goodies too.
C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Nope not yet but I am having a Power Steering Leak... Slight.

John Was 96 Contour Zetec RIP Now 2001 Chrysler 300M.... I Will Have Another Soon... I AM NO TRADER......
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard