Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
OP Offline
P
My brother-in-law has a Ford dealership with a new SVT Focus on the showroom. So I went down and pulled a wheel off the Focus and put it on my SVT Contour. Different offset guys; they are furthur out in the wheel well. Some people have said these wheels work on our cars. Sure, they'll fit but don't expect your car to handle the same (been there,done that). I want new wheels and I've seen alot of comments about the Borbet type T's but until someone tells me a wheel will not change the "handling dynamics" of my car I'll stick with stock. Comments?

99'SVT. T.Red. JVC/Infinity sound. K&N,B&M shift,MOMO knob,KVR rotors&pads.
A
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
A
they also have different width, aren't they? so may be offset is not the same, but is actually correct? have you taken the measurements?

what's the consesus about the maximum safe deviation from stock offset?

not that I need 17" in the pothole capital of the world

A
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
A
Pothole capital of the world? NJ? NJ is not even on the map for the worst roads in the nation.

Thought it depends on who you talk to, NJ definitely is not the pothole capital of the world!

-Giovanni One turbocharger. Two intercoolers. All love.
L
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
L
If they sit further out in the wheel well I would think it would improve the handleing capabilities of the car not retract from them. Just so long as you weren't too fare out to seriously interfer with the aerodynamics, drag, of the car. Any online documentation that anyone has on the suject or something I might be able to reference in a library would be helpful.

Lee Cox No Contours to speak of...
A
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
A
Buddy, I lived in Lansing, MI for 5 years: I know what I'm talking about. NYC and surrounding NJ area gets the cake.
I'm done w/ OT ramblings now

A
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
A
Lee,

the wheel bearings may go south if you are too much out.
The question is how much is too much.

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
What sort of offset range do we have with our cars? I know stock is like 47mm, so can we go from 35-45mm potentially? The lower the offset, the less likely for rubbing, right? The Focus wheels then haev a high offset compared to ours?

Suneil

A
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by ssmumich00:
The lower the offset, the less likely for rubbing, right?

depends where you rub. you can rub against the tie-bar or strut too

P
OP Offline
P
I believe you are correct. The Focus SVT wheels are wider. I should have takent a tape measure with me. Here is what concerns me about changing track on any auto. My last contour (non-svt,v-6,5 speed) had 15" and I did a plus one. It sucked; even though I had gone with Bridgestone's latest and greatest the way my car had once handled was destroyed. The after-market wheels were wider than stock and stuck farhter out the wheel wells. I sent it all back to tire rack and stayed within factory specs.

99'SVT. T.Red. JVC/Infinity sound. K&N,B&M shift,MOMO knob,KVR rotors&pads.
K
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
K
I'm surprised you guys are saying that the SVT Focus wheels stick out more. Judging from pics I've seen with them on SVT Contours, they seem to be the same or even a tad more inward than the stock E0/E1 rims, making them look nice from the side but not quite so nice from the front or rear.

In other words, they don't look as you'd expect the move from 16x6.5 to 17x7 to look.

I'll try and dig up some pics.

Apart from the offset issues, they look awesome. The Contour should have come with 17s.

Kerry

99 SVT Contour Silver Frost, #365/2760, DMD 98 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro Tiptronic, 30V -- SOLD! 91 Isuzu Impulse XS Kammback, Handling By Lotus Victoria, BC, Canada
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  1314_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard