Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
hey all,

I have seen posts for the pro's and con's on underdive pully's, so what's the deal? Are they harmful? does the difference in weight make that big of a difference? thanks
Moose

1998 Black 3L Contour SVT Sweet Home Alabama
L
Webmaster
Webmaster
L
Without dampening, the crank harmonics will damage the bearings and the crank itself. That's the theory anyway.

Several, like myself, have had UDP's on for over two years without ill effects. Doesn't mean it won't happen, but it just hasn't.

Personally, I plan on putting the DMD (dual mode dampener) on this fall, as I'm sick of the vibrations at higher RPM's and vaguely fear a blown bottom end.

-Lance

Lance Kinley CEG Webmaster 95 SE, "Cassandra" 10 years!
H
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
H
Originally posted by lkinley:
vaguely fear a blown bottom end.

-Lance

Did you get that on tape?

Sold 1998 Contour LX 13.868 sec 1/4 mile time. Two years of rental cars, seriously. Holding out for 07 Cobra Mustang.
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
i just blew mine because of the crank was badly scored! however i had it warrentied, brand new block at 22500!

Last edited by 2000greensvt; 08/19/02 04:11 AM.

Its a bird, its a plane...wait!..W.T.F.W.T..? #1800 of 2150
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
So how about the crank underdrive pulley AND the DMD? I'm thinking about these things while my car is down. Seems to me that the DMD would make up for lack of dampening from the underdrive pulley. Does that make sense? Anyone know for sure?

'98 SVT Contour, in at least 639 pieces 4 Speed MTX...synchro and shift fork replacement in progress
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by shotwell:
So how about the crank underdrive pulley AND the DMD? I'm thinking about these things while my car is down. Seems to me that the DMD would make up for lack of dampening from the underdrive pulley. Does that make sense? Anyone know for sure?

They do the same thing/Mount in the same place.

The DMD is a dual dampened crank pulley.

Trying to piggy-back and run both would be fruitless. You'd end up with a heavy UDP and still loose out on the dual dampening since the pulley orientation, location, and geometry would be all wrong for proper frequency dampening.

Skip the UDP crank pulley & use the DMD.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
B
Redneck Troll
Redneck Troll
B
Not to mention that the larger DMD doesn't clear the frame rail when mounted to a UDP...

As for this...
Originally posted by lkinley:
vaguely fear a blown bottom end.
, I run a UDP and pray for a blown bottom end so that I can more easily justify stage two on my personal 3 liter project to my boss, uh, girlfriend.

http://www.bnmotorsports.com "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my CEG brothers. And you will know I am the Moderator when I lay my vengeance upon you."
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
How many of us are in the same boat, waiting for it to die to justify the cost of a new engine

With David Z. 30 minutes away I could have a nice new 3.0 put in for a couple-few grand. Although, with 68,000 miles the engine still runs fine, except for developing a few small oil leaks.....

Seriously, I'd be upset if it did blow right now, luckily there are no signs of impending doom "yet".

97 Contour SE MTX K&N 3530, UR UDP, 19# Injectors, mystery mod, FMS wires, Fordchip.com chip, SVT: TB, Flywheel, clutch, exhaust 04 Grand Caravan SXT
D
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by ScottK97SEMTX:

Seriously, I'd be upset if it did blow right now, luckily there are no signs of impending doom "yet".

You and Brad be sure to chip those redlines to 8K RPM...speed the crank whip process along a bit...

1999 Amazon Green SVT Contour (#554/2760) "People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." -Soren Kierkegaard (as posted by Jato)
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
I'm sure it's been discussed before - but is there data that says the RPM operating range of the DMD is greater than the stock unit?

It is a tuned elastomer pulley which IIRC has a pretty narrow damping range (from tech tid bits from Terry and Judge), designed for cars that redline at about 7000 rpm. I would guess it is tuned for that range. Obvioulsy it has better "dual damping" for smooth operation, but is there proof that it'll be sufficient/better at 8000 rpm?

I would think you'd need a fluid damper or a high rpm tuned pulley for that??? If you look in the 2001 (or 2002) FMS catalog you'll see "race" dampers with cautins that they are not to be used over 8200 rpm, and thats a race damper.

Admittedly, I stopped reading alot of the DMD threads for a while, so I apologize if I'm rehashing old questions.

97 Contour SE MTX K&N 3530, UR UDP, 19# Injectors, mystery mod, FMS wires, Fordchip.com chip, SVT: TB, Flywheel, clutch, exhaust 04 Grand Caravan SXT
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard