Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
OP Offline
R
Hello all! First of all, I'd like to say that I've been visiting this site for a few years now, but I didn't need to join until now. This site is so useful that every question that I've had a question , I found that it was already answered in the forums or in the archives. I just noticed a problem that I've never seen posted here before.

The other day, I was checking my air filter and I noticed that there was a small pool of red fluid (ATX fluid?) laying on the bottom of the air filter compartment. Could excess fluid overflow there when the tranny heats up? Or is the red fluid something else?

Is this a major problem? The engine and the tranny seem to be working just fine.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!

RedRocket5 1998 Mercury Mystique LS 2.5L Duratec V6, ATX (no 5-speed avail at time of purchase) No Mods yet!
F
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
F
I have the same car 98 LS ATX it could be from the ATX breather tube? Mine came fromt he factory
mounted between the battery and the air-filter box. The end of the tube(looks like vacuum hose)
use to set very close to the crack/seal area of the top and bottom half. With the summer heat maybe a little
atf got ??? into the box?? Magic???
Paul

Paul 98 Mystique LS 2ea (07/97)(08/98)
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Perhaps a more likely explanation is the fact that air
filters use an oil that is red in colour. If you have
a KN filter kit, you would notice this if you cleaned your
filter and then subsequently re-oiled it ....gives it a sticky medium to catch all the dirt and crap.

2000 Black SVT #2639/2760; w/18 OZ Superleggera's, Pirelli Pzero Nero. MSDS Headers,Quaife LSD, CF DF, Borla,,chipped,DMD,Baer Track rotors. Lowered/HR and Koni's; HPP & OMP 3L Valves w/ P&P Heads (thanks Kinger!)
F
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
F
Yeah that's correct and seeing how I have KN drop-in I should have have thouhgt of that Thanks
Paul

Paul 98 Mystique LS 2ea (07/97)(08/98)

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard