Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
kjsol Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
K
Ok ... so anyone know how to make the car thing the clutch pedal is depressed when it isn't?

The SVT will not start. It's doing exactly what it does when the clutch isn't depressed. I messed with the bolt on the back side of the clutch pedal trying to make it engage when it wasn't on the firewall.

TIA.

Married the gal of my dreams 04.27.02 Now a Troll 2003 Subaru Legacy L Wagon. Two people I hold close to my heart have passed from this earth. My Grandmother Mary Gorman and my good friend John Son. May they rest in peace.
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Switch provides ground, so connecting black/yellow wire, on switch side of 8 pin connector, to ground should do the job.

98 Mystique LS v6 atx 163,000km 97 Contour LX v6 atx 163,000km
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Why would you want to disable a safety device? The first time you start the car in gear and ram the bumper into another car you will understand why it is there. Seems like an expensive lesson though.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
K
kjsol Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
K
Thanks for the info Jim. I know why it's there though (I'm not a total moron thank you). I used to have an auto-starter on my Honda Civic and have since left every MT car I've driven in N. I'll not be doing what you meantioned but thanks for looking out of me??

Horse. The switch that I am talking about is on the topside of the clutch and there is no black/yellow wire. There are 4 wires (two Orange/Blue, White, Black). The firewall switch is the offender in this case. I haven't been able to see the wire colors on it (there might well be a Black/yellow wire). The plunger will not go in all the way (and start the car) with the bolt in place (ie: take it out and it works fine).

Thanks,
KJ

Married the gal of my dreams 04.27.02 Now a Troll 2003 Subaru Legacy L Wagon. Two people I hold close to my heart have passed from this earth. My Grandmother Mary Gorman and my good friend John Son. May they rest in peace.
L
Webmaster
Webmaster
L
There is a howto for this in the Mods section...

-Lance

Lance Kinley CEG Webmaster 95 SE, "Cassandra" 10 years!
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Originally posted by Big Jim:
Why would you want to disable a safety device? The first time you start the car in gear and ram the bumper into another car you will understand why it is there. Seems like an expensive lesson though.

It's not a safety device, it's an idiot switch. European cars don't have them and they are predominantly manual. If people are dumb enough to bump the car in front in this manner, they shouldn't be driving.

Bless our servicemen & women overseas. L.Cpl Ian Malone, 1st Battalion Irish Guards, R.I.P.
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by MarkO:
Originally posted by Big Jim:

It's not a safety device, it's an idiot switch. European cars don't have them and they are predominantly manual. If people are dumb enough to bump the car in front in this manner, they shouldn't be driving.

Most safety devices are an attempt to make the product idiot proof.

Anyway, no insult intended if anyone took it as such. Just an attempt at a wake up call before disabling a safety device.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
8 pin connector I was referring to was above brake pedal not at the clutch switch, but I am referencing a '97 wiring manual and it shows only 2 wires to clutch switch.

Hope you get it started.

98 Mystique LS v6 atx 163,000km 97 Contour LX v6 atx 163,000km
C
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
C
In reply to:

If people are dumb enough to bump the car in front in this manner, they shouldn't be driving.

I agree, I drove a manual truck for 10 years, and of all the dumb things I did behind the wheel, I never did that.

-Ken V. 1998.5 SE Praire Tan Zetec ATX psycho_bass@hotmail.com Roush springs Roush rear sway bar BAT struts 17" Millie Miglia HT3 and a ton of subtle asthetic mods
A
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
A
I would certainly consider the ability to roll my car off the intersection or an RR crossing w/ the engine dead to be a safety feature (for uninitiated: this is done by the starter if the switch is disabled), but then again I have ATX and MTX in the family so I either look for a clutch in ATX or try to start MTX w/o depressing the clutch first. I am a moron, what can I tell ya?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard