Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
P
NOTE: Cross-posted on FCO

Last week I started noticing this problem and it happened again today.

Scenario, been driving around for maybe 30 mins or so, not on the highway but not in total stop and go traffic either ( a few back roads, a few stop lights). Make a stop for about 15 minutes or so. Get in car and start it, starts, goes up to say 1500 rpms than drops quick and stalls. I restart again, giving it gas this time to avoid a stall. The whole time it's making this moaning sound (moosing?) After feathering the gas I bit I get it into revere and roll off, first stop sign I hit, the car stalls. Have to throw it into drive to re-start of course, and keep some gas to avoid a stall, so of course this isn't doing the tranny any good. The moaning goes away after a few minutes as does the problem? Any ideas? The spark plugs are bit old but I doubt that it has anything to do with this

-Pete

"Bros before Hoes" <-- More men need this mentality.
O
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
O
Had a similar problem with my 96. Just got it fixed. Problem was with the MAF. Replaced @ 85,000 miles and it's going good now. IIRC the moosing is caused by the idle air thingy (sorry i'm tired and can't remember the proper terminology..and to all a good night)

MY NEW HOBBY...RUINING CHRIS CROFTS LIFE...
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Could be the IAC is caked up with carbon and binding,
or your MAF just needs the dust knocked off the sensor.

Pete... 2004 Mercury Marauder 300A Black Clearcoat/Dark Charcoal LEATHER DOB 10/31/2003 DOP 1/2/2004 www.mercurymarauder.net
P
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
P
Originally posted by PRomano:
Could be the IAC is caked up with carbon and binding,
or your MAF just needs the dust knocked off the sensor.

So, uh, how do I fix it?

-Pete

"Bros before Hoes" <-- More men need this mentality.
R
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
R
I have a 95 Contour 2.5 V6 ATX with a similar sounding warm restart problem. I've had this problem for several months now. Usually, on a hot day, after the engine has sat for a while, but not too long, the engine stalls out right after starting accompanied by loud howling noise (moosing?). I took it to the local garage, but they could not reproduce the problem. The conditions are too variable and weather dependent. I cannot reliably predict whether the next warm start will have a problem. Sometimes I just let the engine stall out and the very next restart will be fine. Revving the engine keeps it from stalling, but usually keeps the howling going for longer.

Questions:
1. Is the howling the same "moosing" in the FAQ? The TSB mentions moosing during decelartion but not for warm restarts.

2. If it is moosing, is it a symptom or the cause of the stalling? I'd hate to spend $$$ replacing the ducts, but not fix the stalling problem.

3. Can a shop check the mass airflow sensor? or do they have to catch it behaving badly? (Again, hate to spend $$$ on random fixes.)

In any case, if you solve your problem, please post the fix.

Richard

E
E
My 95 V6 mystique is having a similar problem. Car runs great when cold, however when it is very hot outside and car gets good and warmed up if I park for a while and engine gets heat soaked it SOMETIMES will barely run. It acts like it's not getting any fuel and idles about 200 rpm.
When I try and put into gear and pull away nothing happens. I go back to neutral and even then have trouble revving up.
Usually it does finally start working and I can drive away and all is fine.
Yesterday it was really hot and it would not clear up,
i barely nursed home the last 20 miles, every stop sign and light was was a major challenge. I had to keep it in the lowest possible gear and keep rolling, hills were murder and I barely made it up my driveway.
This morning it was back to running fine????
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ed.

R
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by ezalenski:
My 95 V6 mystique is having a similar problem... when it is very hot outside... SOMETIMES will barely run...

Do you get the foghorn-like "moosing" sound?

Richard

J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
I have a similar problem. When it's warm and I've ran my car for a bit then stopped for a bit, it'll stall if I don't give it a bit of gas. I don't have moosing or any of the other issues. I've had the fuel pump replaced, fuel filter replaced and other things looked at but nothing seems to fix it. It's just my car's gremlin that will completly go bonkers once the warranty is up. Not much one can do about it.

'03 Protege 5 MTX '02 Mazda Protege LX MTX former owner of: 96 Contour GL 2.5 ATX
E
E
No, I don't get any weird sounds it just won't run. In fact it is almost silent like most of the cylinders aren't even firing.

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
I had the same problem for months, after the car died on hubby when he got in traffic getting on a busy interstate his brother brought a snap on computer to the house and hooked it up.The IAC was hanging up , got a new one from Advance $68 w tax they put it on yesterday, I tested it today and It fixed it and I have more power again . I can't wait to see what it does for my fuel mileage!!
100% sure IAC!!!

95 Teal Se 5 spd,duratech, loaded(except moonroof) no mods.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard