Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
H
For about 2 months now I've had a CEL with code 401...EGR flow insufficient. Replaced the DPFE sensor under warranty & had the EGR system all cleaned out, but still a CEL with code 401. I've been told that some of the EGR piping can get a buildup of crud that's hard to get out so I'm going through the EGR system myself...anyone have any advice before I go crazy with my wrenches & torches?

-Chris 93 ATX SHO Ultra Red Evil ATX clone to Todras 91 SHO plus black/black, work in progress http://www.tri-statesho-svt.org
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
I ran some mechanics wire through mine and then soaked it with carb cleaner.

S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
Did they take off the throttle body and clean out the passages that are exposed? I think there are three that enter where the throttle body meets the intake.

Dueling Duratecs '95 SE V6 MTX 0 Mods '04 Mazda6 S Wagon '03 Kawasaki Z1000 But thus do I counsel you, my friends: distrust all in whom the impulse to punish is powerful! Friedrich Nietzsche
G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by Huntervf:
For about 2 months now I've had a CEL with code 401...EGR flow insufficient.

It seems that I have the same car (96 Contour V6 SE ATX) and am having the exact same problem (P0401). So far, I have replaced:

- EGR valve
- EVR (EGR vacuum regulator)
- DPFE (differential pressure feedback EGR).

I still get the code though.

I have also checked most of the plastic/rubber vacuum hoses and they all seem fine.

If you find a solution, please post it.

Originally posted by Huntervf:
...had the EGR system all cleaned out...

How did they do that? Which parts did they clean?

Originally posted by 2X95SEs:
I ran some mechanics wire through mine and then soaked it with carb cleaner.

What is "mechanics wire" and where can I get it?

Where did you "run" the wire through?

Originally posted by spgoode:
Did they take off the throttle body and clean out the passages that are exposed? I think there are three that enter where the throttle body meets the intake.

I just took the TB (throttle body) off today and looked behind it (into the UIM (upper intake manifold). I did not see much buildup and did not see any "EGR passage" that people talk about.

There were three small passages that enter behind the throttle body, but none of them were for the EGR system. There was a passage that came from the bottom of the UIM which seems to come from the evap hose. There were another two passages that came from the top of the UIM that seemed to come from the two black vacuum lines on top of the UIM. And all of theses passages were not clogged up.

I stuck my fingers into the UIM and felt around and could not find any "EGR passage". I even stuck a mechanics mirror into the UIM to see if I could find the elusive "EGR passage", to no avail.

Anyone have any suggestions???

96 Contour SE Duratec V6 24-valve 2.5L ATX 108,000 mi. Replaced: crankshaft w/ DMD, EGR valve (clogged), EVR, DPFE, PCV valve, evap emissions hose & tube (cracked), window regulator (broken), LH & RH PCV tubes, UIM gasket (leak), ignition coil
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
The egr passage is 'cast in' to the manifold & exits behind the t/body via the three holes you mention.the other passage is cast in & runs from the ISC valve...the object of both of these is to distribute idle speed air or egr evenly to both banks, hence the cast in channels from the 'remote' mounted valves...which is the only position they could be mounted for clearence.The egr tube itself has been known to clog in the area of the 'necked' venturi, between the DPFE sample/pressure hose take offs.....

G
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
G
dude, I have the same exact problem at least thats what the mechanic said.

his bill was 245 to change the EGR Valve. Right now he removed the tube or something.

can I still drive the car around w/o the tube or whatever its called? I need to go about 80 miles tomorrow. Everything SOUNDS normal. Whats the EGR for anyways?

Sorry for another question in a question maybe I should have made another post. thx

96 Contour GL ATX
G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by Terry Haines:
The egr tube itself has been known to clog in the area of the 'necked' venturi, between the DPFE sample/pressure hose take offs...

Is there any way to clean the EGR tube venturi from above (w/ the EGR valve off) while it is still attached to the lower manifold???

96 Contour SE Duratec V6 24-valve 2.5L ATX 108,000 mi. Replaced: crankshaft w/ DMD, EGR valve (clogged), EVR, DPFE, PCV valve, evap emissions hose & tube (cracked), window regulator (broken), LH & RH PCV tubes, UIM gasket (leak), ignition coil
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Best is to take it right off.Sandblasting has been known to clear it with a hp wash after, most cases a new/later tube cures it....

G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
Can the EGR tube be replaced w/o putting the car on a lift? All I have is a jack and jack stands. Can you get to the bottom of the EGR tube and remove it from the lower manifold with just a jack?

B
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
B
Can the entire egr be removed and the a plate put over the open spot? And crimp the hose? Just curious. I know someone with a Honda that did it and says it's worth 3-4 hp. Iv'e heard of guys doing this to their Mustangs as well. The only reason I as is I have the same code as well. -For different reasons.(Sparco st brace rubbed a hole in the top of my egr. ) And yes I know I mounted it backwards..I was afraid I was going to brake one of the a/c lines mounting it the other way.

Brandon Mendenhall '99 CSVT # 229 of 2760 '77 280Z Tomohawk Never rub another man's rhubarb!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard