Next Thread
Print Thread
#412807 08/17/02 02:07 AM
I
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
I
Had the C.E.L. go off Saturday night on way home from a party. In discussing this with a friend, he suggested that a gas cap not properly tightened could trigger it. He was right!

contours, deloreans & fiats, oh my!
#412808 08/17/02 03:30 AM
K
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
K
In reply to:

Originally posted by ibub
Had the C.E.L. go off Saturday night on way home from a party. In discussing this with a friend, he suggested that a gas cap not properly tightened could trigger it. He was right!

This happens all the time with my wife's 97 Hyundai Elantra.. They had a recall a year or so ago, to change the gas cap - it fixed some cars' gas tank "imploding" because of a lack of vent, but it sure didn't fix the CEL !

Almost every time she goes for gas, she comes back with a CEL because she didn't tighten the cap properly..

Kyo 1997 Mystique GS Duratec ATX -- sold 2005 Focus ST - Quicker! - Still a Duratec!
#412809 08/17/02 04:35 AM
I
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
I
In reply to:

Originally posted by Kyo
In reply to:

This happens all the time with my wife's 97 Hyundai Elantra.. They had a recall a year or so ago, to change the gas cap - it fixed some cars' gas tank "imploding" because of a lack of vent, but it sure didn't fix the CEL !

Almost every time she goes for gas, she comes back with a CEL because she didn't tighten the cap properly..

Once in 50,000 miles isn't too bad. Ford dealer wanted $100.00 to run diagnostic. I bought my buddy a beer, cost $3.50.

contours, deloreans & fiats, oh my!
#412810 08/17/02 04:54 AM
P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
on the new exploder's (I think that's it anyway) they have a "check gas cap" light for that specific purpose. I guess all the soccer mom's were bringing their exploders to dealers under warranty and were wasting tech's time.

"Bros before Hoes" <-- More men need this mentality.
#412811 08/17/02 07:43 AM
P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
In reply to:

There are literally hunderds of things that can throw a CEL. Loose gas cap is definitely something to check, and it's a good coincidence that it was your problem this time. Just keep in mind that Autozone will scan codes for free, in case you ever get another one.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard