Next Thread
Print Thread
#410649 08/16/02 04:15 AM
D
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
D
well, my car is finally showing it's age. the engine is leaking oil from the heads, and it gets to the point that when I romp on it, I get a smell of burning oil like it's spilling on it (probably because it is). the lower half of my block is covered in oil. so...is it more cost effective to go for replacing my head gaskets, chains/rails, and other items, or just start looking for a 3.0 to build? My car has 104K miles as of this post, and I know that I will change out my clutch/flywheel, and have my quiafe fitted in a few more months (original clutch). I heard that it's easier to pull the motor out to change out the gaskets and other things, but if I have to pull the motor, I would rather get a 3.0 that's ready to drop in once I pull the 2.5 out.

dion 98 SVT, 200 whp/190 lb. ft tq (tuned by ADC), 3.0, P&P heads w/2.5L valves, optimized TB, MSDS, SCA 2.5" catback, SHOshop UIM/LIM, underdrive pulley set, TD's, Koni/H&R, BAER/TCE, Progress, CF1 products
A
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
A
that smells a lot like my '96 (except mine is ATX, so no 3L for me from what I understand) how do you know it's from up there? mine seems to be from around pan gasket, but what do I know...

been like that for a year, switched to dyno oil from Mobil1 ( improved the situation slightly)

personally, I think that changing the gaskets is bound to be cheaper than the new engine, but as far as lame excuses to get the 3L go this one just might work

good luck

S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Yeah dion, do the 3.0L if you can afford it. More horsepower and torque is good! I'm sure the guys on the 3.0L board can give you some realistic price gueses. Good luck!

'98 SVT Contour, in at least 639 pieces 4 Speed MTX...synchro and shift fork replacement in progress
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Are you sure it's not leaking from rocker cover gaskets, since that would be the more common problem and cheaper than head gaskets (the latter would also exhibit other symptoms).

98 Mystique LS v6 atx 163,000km 97 Contour LX v6 atx 163,000km
D
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
D
well, it's not really cost related I guess, since I know I can find a 3.0 for around 500-1000 sans heads.

as for the leak, it's wet where the heads meet the block, right below the exhaust manifolds. it's dry above the manifolds. we saw the leaks a few years ago, when they were more like a seep. if it were the valve cover gaskets, I'd be so stoked it was only there.

dion 98 SVT, 200 whp/190 lb. ft tq (tuned by ADC), 3.0, P&P heads w/2.5L valves, optimized TB, MSDS, SCA 2.5" catback, SHOshop UIM/LIM, underdrive pulley set, TD's, Koni/H&R, BAER/TCE, Progress, CF1 products

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard