Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12
M
M
Quote:
But like they mentioned, the markup is ridiculous, why not make them cheaper and sell more. I am sure you would make more $$ off of 100 rather than 50. Even if they dropped it 2k they would still be making their profit.
All you armchair tuners that think you can offer a quality turbo kit for next to nothing need to get in business and offer said kit. Then hurry up and get back out of business when you realize the financial realities of a real turbo, IC, custom exhaust manifold, EEC, dyno time, etc.

If Chris needed advice on pricing, he would have asked.

-Kurt

"I'm a little sceptical of that internet thing. After all, what's it got besides information?"
-DB, 1/97
J
J
Quote:
Originally posted by Saturnk1:
Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Herring:
[b]$2000 won't get you much more than an intercooler kit. maybee an intercooler kit and a water spray system for the cooler......

Turbo kits (properly engineered kits that is) for any vehicle will set you back around $4000.... so $4500 is not an unreasonable price. Look at the flyin miata turbo kits for example... these are great kits and they cost around $4000. www.dlralt.com
But like they mentioned, the markup is ridiculous, why not make them cheaper and sell more. I am sure you would make more $$ off of 100 rather than 50. Even if they dropped it 2k they would still be making their profit.[/b]
\

How do you know they would still be making a profit? Perhaps they might cover parts costs. But how much $$$ is investing in the shop that's doing the engineering. Those people who are doing the calculations, measurements and tuning are not free. They have to be paid as well. The electricity, water and whatnot for that shop costs money as well.

Then there will be those who call up with questions after purchasing the kit, after sales support. That has to cost something as well.

Profit is not illegal, nor immoral. In fact, profit is necessary for our economy to grow. Unless you work for some hospital, university or government, your employer better turn a profit, or you will be out of a job.

If the price is wrong, no one will buy it. But I believe if the kit is very well engineered, people will pay.

But as others have said, if you think it can be done for less than $2K, then get to it, get your kit to market. Otherwise, I politely ask you to reserve judgement or provide some actual proof that this kit can be engineered and delivered to the user for 2K, then by all means, show your work.

Thanks for reading my rant.

TB
Come to the National Meet, perhaps you will see the results there.

Tony Boner
Personal: 98cdw27@charter.net Work: tony.boner@sun.com
Saving the computer world from WinBloze as Unix/Solaris/Java Guru http://www.sun.com
1998 Contour SVT Pre-E1 618/6535 Born On Date: 4/30/1997
Now with Aussie Bar induced mild oversteer.
C
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
C
Take a look at what you get with those "$2000" kits. If all you want is a cast iron exhaust manifold, an old style turbo, and a pipe, sure! Believe me, $2000 wouldn't come close to covering the cost of the kit for us. We are making MINIMAL profit as I have stated in the past. The profit is just enough to make it worthwhile to the manufacturer.

And yes, Tony, you are correct. The Development vehicle will be at the National Meet in full force.

-Chris Hightower-
-Hightower Performance Products, LLC

(Oo.«xx».oO)
o xxxxxxxxx o
B
B
Quote:
Originally posted by Saturnk1:
Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Herring:
[b]$2000 won't get you much more than an intercooler kit. maybee an intercooler kit and a water spray system for the cooler......

Turbo kits (properly engineered kits that is) for any vehicle will set you back around $4000.... so $4500 is not an unreasonable price. Look at the flyin miata turbo kits for example... these are great kits and they cost around $4000. www.dlralt.com
But like they mentioned, the markup is ridiculous, why not make them cheaper and sell more. I am sure you would make more $$ off of 100 rather than 50. Even if they dropped it 2k they would still be making their profit.[/b]
I assume you have a job right? I assume you get paid to do that job right? Would you be willing to put in 80 hours of work for free?

Not saying there is not some "markup" or that some kits are overpriced, just that I have never seen what I call a quality kit for less than $4000 for any non turbo vehicle. Quality kits have a lot more time on the back end than cheap thrown together ones. Time costs money. If you have ever driven a turbo conversion that was a not-so-good kit you would understand my point. I had a turbo miata that had one of the original BEGI kits complete with intercooler and the drivability sucked ars. Those same kits are still available for around $3000, but the good kits that include a programable ecu replacements, larger injectors, quality BOV etc etc cost around $4000-$4500.

So... All I'm saying I guess is you usually get what you pay for.

98 SE
BAT Big Brake Kit "C", Throttle Hang Fix, B&M Shifter, Lightly Cracked Secondaries, BAT Euro Handling Kit, 20% tint, Removed Ding Strips, ES Motor Mount Inserts, Borla CatBack, Apexi SAFC, HighTower Rear Brace, BAT 19mm rear bar, MSDS Headers & Y, AFE 20-35008 filter, ClutchMasters Stage 1, Fidanza FlyWheel, SVT T.B.
====OnOrder====
svt uppers and lowers,
O
O
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Hightower:

The Development vehicle will be at the [b]National Meet
in full force.[/b]
Are you planning on any runs down the tracks? (1/4 or auto x) I will be there so PLEASE convince my WIFE to buy the kit wink .
Good Luck with your project and convincing my wife.
C-ya there

2000 Black SVT Contour
C
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
C
Quote:
Originally posted by OutlawdSVT:
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Hightower:
[b]

The Development vehicle will be at the [b]National Meet in full force.[/b]
Are you planning on any runs down the tracks? (1/4 or auto x) I will be there so PLEASE convince my WIFE to buy the kit wink .
Good Luck with your project and convincing my wife.
C-ya there[/b]
For sure, dyno. Quite possibly drag race. But no autocross.

-Chris Hightower-
-Hightower Performance Products, LLC

(Oo.«xx».oO)
o xxxxxxxxx o
N
N
Hello Saturn K1.....
You are an idiot beyond belief. Shut the hell up and become educated. Jackasss

O
O
Quote:
Originally posted by nine6rand:
Hello Saturn K1.....
That is one way to make your first post laugh

2000 Black SVT Contour
J
J
Quote:
Originally posted by OutlawdSVT:
Quote:
Originally posted by nine6rand:
[b]Hello Saturn K1.....
That is one way to make your first post laugh [/b]
He's been lurking for a while. I guess when you are going to jump in, make a big splash.

Welcome to the forums wink

TB

Tony Boner
Personal: 98cdw27@charter.net Work: tony.boner@sun.com
Saving the computer world from WinBloze as Unix/Solaris/Java Guru http://www.sun.com
1998 Contour SVT Pre-E1 618/6535 Born On Date: 4/30/1997
Now with Aussie Bar induced mild oversteer.
O
O
LMAO laugh

2000 Black SVT Contour
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard