Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#403153 01/22/02 03:00 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Which heads are better flowing? 2.5 , 3.0, or 2.5 w/ 3L valves? I want to build a 3.0 that I can just drop in so I'm hoping the 3L heads are better, if not then oh well. If the 3.0 heads are better than my question is, can the SVT cams be used with the newer heads that have the water pump drive off the cam? Or are the 3.0 cams better anyway? Also, I havent looked close enough yet, do the water pumps mount to the block at all or just to the head?

'95 Mustang GTS, 11.3 @ 119MPH
'00 CSVT, 15.3 @ 91MPH
3L In The Works!!
#403154 01/22/02 03:31 PM
B
B
Most of this you can find by searching this section of the forums. Depending on which way you're going with the engine, either set of heads will work well. Still waiting to see one NA with 3 liter heads put down some numbers with the SVT cams, but the SVT cams are hotter than both the standard 2.5 and 3 liter Duratecs. Get the '01+ 3 liter heads if you don't want to go with an electric water pump, SVT cams will fit right in. SVT cams in pre '00 heads will require modification to fit and also an electric water pump.

Brad Noon
'99 SE MTX
3 point oh my God H.O. 179HP/178TQ
BNMotorsports Floormats, powder coating, TB optimizing, Gutted cats, etc
BNMotorsports is now the preferred distributor of Contour/SVT/Mystique Indiglo style gauges!!!
bnmotorsports@msn.com
#403155 01/22/02 04:20 PM
S
S
Hopefully I'll be able to provide some numbers for the 3L heads/block combo with the SVT cams. I'm planning to order my '01 heads today.

Curtis
Dead 98 Black SVT
#403156 01/22/02 07:11 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Ok, so the 01 up 3.0 heads are the only ones with the cam driven water pump correct? How about the SVT intake fitting these heads? i know the bolt pattern is the same but I also heard it gets rid of the long/short runner setup somewhat, since it has a merged intake port. I can see this maybe being a problem, but obviously Ford doesnt. The 4.6 Cobra motors have a long/short runner design like ours, but the '00 Cobra R's have a Single runner that still uses a 4-valve. I havent seen the '01 3.0 heads yet but, is there any way to maybe weld in a separation, or would it be better to just port the intake backwards up into the runners a little ways? It would still be short/long runner design seeing as how the secondary ports still wouldnt let any air by. Or would we be best getting rid of the runner controls all together? The SHO's do this and gain some power with sacrifice to low-end torque. Comments?

'95 Mustang GTS, 11.3 @ 119MPH
'00 CSVT, 15.3 @ 91MPH
3L In The Works!!
#403157 01/22/02 08:57 PM
B
B
Quote:
Originally posted by SSR SVT 1:
Ok, so the 01 up 3.0 heads are the only ones with the cam driven water pump correct? How about the SVT intake fitting these heads? i know the bolt pattern is the same but I also heard it gets rid of the long/short runner setup somewhat, since it has a merged intake port. I can see this maybe being a problem, but obviously Ford doesnt. The 4.6 Cobra motors have a long/short runner design like ours, but the '00 Cobra R's have a Single runner that still uses a 4-valve. I havent seen the '01 3.0 heads yet but, is there any way to maybe weld in a separation, or would it be better to just port the intake backwards up into the runners a little ways? It would still be short/long runner design seeing as how the secondary ports still wouldnt let any air by. Or would we be best getting rid of the runner controls all together? The SHO's do this and gain some power with sacrifice to low-end torque. Comments?

Correct about the WP drive pulley.

Keep the SVT lower intake manifold to keep the secondaries. Arguments on removing them can be found if you search in the performance section. My 3 liter loves being without them!

Brad Noon
'99 SE MTX
3 point oh my God H.O. 179HP/178TQ
BNMotorsports Floormats, powder coating, TB optimizing, Gutted cats, etc
BNMotorsports is now the preferred distributor of Contour/SVT/Mystique Indiglo style gauges!!!
bnmotorsports@msn.com

Moderated by  bnoon_dup1, PA 3L SVT_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard