Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
nupesvt Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I'm in the process of swapping my 3L and would like to consider upgrading the exhaust somewhere down the road. I'll be replacing the stock exhaust manifolds during the swap with the MSDS Headers and Y-pipe. Any suggestions on what type of mufflers (and resonator) and the size of the piping??? Should I stick with 2.25" or should I go to 2.5"??? I'm looking for something that will sound good (and intemidating) without a lot drone and rasp plus add a little more punch to the 3L.

Also, I haven't done much with the stock intake on my CSVT other than replacing the paper element with a K&N filter.

98 Black CSVT
92k Miles
Dead 2.5L
3.0L In Work
B
B
hmm, well this is me personally but i would consider doing the true duals and i hear that eliminates the rasp as well. i hear xchang's setup with true duals and it sounded awesome. also, i think you would get the best performance gains with true dual exhaust as well.

Jim Hahn
1996 T-Red Contour SE
2002 Black Mazda MP5
Latest mods: sho shop off road y-pipe
X
X
Thanks Jim! laugh

It does sound good (a little rasp, but not as bad as cutting just the res out of a SVT). Nothing that a couple of small resonators won't take care of... laugh Overall flow will increase, plus it was Terry's designing thoughts that made it come true. It is also a simalar setup to the "Profile" Contour concept car back in 95 (I believe it was 95?!?).

"I sense much beer in you....
Beer leads to intoxication, intoxication leads to hang over, hang over leads to suffering....., suffering leads to the dark side." -Chineseman 3:16

Steve Chang
99 Silver SVT #196 "ExtrudeHone"
Sponsored by Street-Concepts
174.2 fwhp @ 150.7 ft/lbs (218 hp @ crank) - Pre-Headers
SVT/SHO Society Vice President
XChang Designs
P
P
I have the SHO Shop Y and Bassani on my 3L. OEM exhaust manifolds and resonator tips remain in the mufflers. Little raspy when cold (but I think that I have a loose clamp so I'm checking that next weekend). Drones like mad at 3000 RPM until secondaries open. Definitely VERY throaty and intimidating, a lot deeper than the 2.5s I have heard with it on.

You might want to look into a bigger TB to go along with the 3L. 65mm from a 'Stang or SHO Shop's 63mm (bored out SVT TB). SHO is a little pricey though.

This is a little off topic, but what do you plan to do about A/F? Mine is compensating as best it can under non-WOT, but at WOT it is WAY lean. Food for thought ... I expect to receive my Mallory adjustable fuel pressure regulator this week. I'll be bumping to 55 psi (with 19pph injectors) IF it works out. Appears I am the guinea pig on this one. Keep an eye out - I'll post my results as at least 6 people have asked about it.

1998 Silver Frost SVT Contour born on...8/28/01[/i]
American Iron Shootout Radial Tire 2 Class Champion, Cecil County Dragway April 20, 2002
D
D
For the 3L you should use a 2.5 inch single "quasidual" setup (Brullen & SCA setups are 2.5, Borla & Bassani are only 2.25) or 2" custom true duals. Remember the pipe from the cat to catback is 2.25 & will need to be upgraded (you could use a SHO-Shop Y instead of the MSDS Y & just weld in an extra support bracket but you will lose the MSDS warranty).

1999 Amazon Green SVT Contour (#554/2760)
Stock SVT Duratec V6 with:
Intake- K&N filter/75mm MAF meter
Exhaust- MSDS Y-pipe/Bassani catback
Durability-Ford "dual mode" damper, Mobil 1/K&N oil filter
179.2 FWHP at 6900 RPM
F
F
All of YoDude's components are 2.5 inches ... contact Josh about Contour fitment:
http://www.yodudeperformance.com

Best Regards,

Trevor Cole

New Edge Cougar Forums

Moderated by  bnoon_dup1, PA 3L SVT_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard