Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#390723 08/13/01 04:48 AM
N
NMC Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Scary stuff last night. Out for a late night drive with the girlfriend and while taking a corner the car suddenly jerked sideways a little and now the steering wheel is off center. Keep going till the next corner and it does the same thing only now the wheel is straight again. Pull over and look around the front end, all seems normal, so I figure something to do with the PS rack. Drive for about another hour and as we approach home the car does the same thing again only bigger. Going slowly I pull into my drive way and as I climb the curb there's this big clunk. I stop, put it in reverse, go about 2 feet and clunk grind bang bang bang. Even stopped with the brakes on something is banging and turning down below. Put the ATX in neutral and it stops, so I shut off the car and hop out. Left front wheel looks good and is pointed straight ahead. Right front wheel is jammed against back of the wheel well and turned about 45 to the right. I look under and can't believe that the A-arm has pulled the ball joint out of the steering knuckle and then the drive shaft has separated at the inner CV joint (that explains the banging). What is more unbelieveable is the bolt that holds the ball joint into the knuckle is still in there. I took it out today and it is so rusted and worn that it couldn't hold the ball joint anymore. Everything is back together now except for that bolt. I will go to Ford for some new ones (you bet I'm replacing the other side too) on tommorrow. If you can call it lucky, at least it failed in my driveway?!

96LX/24V/ATX/Midnight Red/A4 repeaters/SVT exhaust/KKM/65mm throttlebody/SVTsprings and ST200 struts/SE rockers and BAT spoiler/BAT 19mm swaybar/urethane bushings/Kenwood 7 speaker syst./E1 SVT brakes w Powerslot rotors/9005 lowbeams/885 fogs/50% tint/Michelin XM+S 130's for winter/E1's with gForces for summer...and now "New Paint!!"
87 Renault GTA convertible/2.0l/mtx/Sony sound/otherwise stock
http://members.shaw.ca/neilmc/
#390724 08/13/01 05:12 AM
L
Administrator
Administrator
L
Yikes! That's frightening! Did you get pics?

-Lance

Lance Kinley
CEG Webmaster
95SE, "Official CEG Beater"
Quaife, SVT parts, ST200 wheels, SS Y-pipe
I perceive you to be a stand-up, rational individual...
#390725 08/14/01 02:35 AM
N
NMC Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Nah, no pics. I never think of that stuff when a crisis hits. I'd stand there gawking at the alien mother ship with a camera in my hand and never think to use it. I got the new bolts today and replaced both. They are an improved bolt, go figure. The old ones were worn 1.1 mm thinner than the new ones (about .040 inch). That's all it took. The old style bolt has a torx head while the new is a 15 mm hex head, rated 8.8 for strength and look cad plated. I would suggest everyone look at theirs and see if they need to upgrade. I can't imagine the effect highway speeds would have had on a failure like this. The bolts were only $2 each.

96LX/24V/ATX/Midnight Red/A4 repeaters/SVT exhaust/KKM/65mm throttlebody/SVTsprings and ST200 struts/SE rockers and BAT spoiler/BAT 19mm swaybar/urethane bushings/Kenwood 7 speaker syst./E1 SVT brakes w Powerslot rotors/9005 lowbeams/885 fogs/50% tint/Michelin XM+S 130's for winter/E1's with gForces for summer...and now "New Paint!!"
87 Renault GTA convertible/2.0l/mtx/Sony sound/otherwise stock
http://members.shaw.ca/neilmc/
#390726 08/14/01 05:26 PM
C
C
WOOW
eek

Chow
1998 SVT #2263 of 6535
chowsvt@msn.com

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1, Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard