Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
OP Offline
I
OK guys i know you will say do a search but no one really talks or asks about how much droon/rasp there will be. I want to get the y-pipe as my next mod for summer but im concernd about how loud it will be. When i 1st did my exhaust work a had a Dynomax bullet in place or res and a highflow muffler out back. well this thing would droon like crazy, wasnt happy at all. so i went and bought a Dynomax Ultraflow and put that in its place much better now. if i was to put the Y-pipe on my setup now will i get a lot of droon/rasp. i dont mind it being louder outside the car but i dont want it loud inside. any help with this would be great.

B
B
You should be fine with a high flow cat style Y-pipe, go catless and you will pick up some extra drone/rasp.

Brad Noon
'99 SE MTX
3 point oh my God H.O. 179HP/178TQ
BNMotorsports Floormats, powder coating, TB optimizing, Gutted cats, etc
BNMotorsports is now the preferred distributor of Contour/SVT/Mystique Indiglo style gauges!!!
bnmotorsports@msn.com
I
OP Offline
I
Cool now question 2 what kind of gains am i loseing by haveing the cat on there. i know catless is 7-8, what about with a cat

L
L
I've got the SHO-Y without the main cat and don't have any bad drone or rasp at all. Maybe a wee bit when it was first installed, but once the inside of the pipes coated themselves with carbon it was aok. It will make your exhaust a bit louder (although wife never noticed), but it's better sounding to me. BTW, I've still got the stock res in there, but will be putting in a high flow one soon. Hope that helps. smile

Black 98.5 SVT w/ KKM intake, 73mm MAF, ASP pulley, Optimized stock Y-Pipe, 24mm hollow rear sway bar, Magnaflow resonator, Magnaflow mufflers, Roush springs, KYB struts
B
B
Quote:
Originally posted by LBVSVT:
BTW, I've still got the stock res in there...

Hence the reason you don't have much drone. laugh I-DOM-IN-8 has a modified exhaust and will notice it more than someone with the stock cat back still in place.

Without the main cat should be within 5 or so HP of the high flow cat pipe.

Brad Noon
'99 SE MTX
BNMotorsports is now the preferred distributor of Contour/SVT/Mystique Indiglo style gauges!!!
bnmotorsports@msn.com
I
OP Offline
I
Quote:
Originally posted by bnoon:
5 or so HP of the high flow cat pipe.

Well i guess thats not too bad of a gain. Sorry brad one more thing. with the highflow cat will it get rid of that sulfer/rotten egg smell when im WOTing it. and with the cat on will it change the sound of the exhaust note any(deeper). thanks for you help brad

I
OP Offline
I
Ohhh and thanks for helping out also LBVSVT smile

E
E
With my Bassani and Off-road y, I have drone out the a$$. I plan on getting a high flow resonator soon. It is also a little raspy.

Brad, I took it to an exhaust shop Monday and they cut about an inch off of the Bassani to prevent it from hitting the heat shield, so it is a little quieter than our trip to Home Depot smile. Still need a resonator though, may try the ugly tips temporarily, we'll see how motivated I am tonight after class.

2000 SVT Contour - Silver # 1675/2150
svt1675@comcast.net
This Shine brought to you by the letter "Z" for Zaino
I
OP Offline
I
Quote:
Originally posted by I-Dom-In-8:

with the highflow cat will it get rid of that sulfer/rotten egg smell when im WOTing it. and with the cat on will it change the sound of the exhaust note any(deeper).

can anyone answer this last question for me plez

B
B
Rotton egg smell can come from several things. A clogged cat, bad positioning of the cat, fuel system lean, fuel system rich, exhaust leak... It's up to you or your mechanic to try to hunt down the cause.

Brad Noon
'99 SE MTX
bnmotorsports@msn.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard