Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
jaydog Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Well, as some of you might know, I'm returing to school this fall. I'll have to quit my job which pays me 12.20/hr. Not to bad for a 20 year old. Why I don't consider that "good" money, it's alot more than the 5.15 I grew up on. So anyway, when I go back to school (community college) it will be full time. I have to maintain some form of employment to pay for my bills. This means I need atleast 500 to 1000 a month to live off of. So, that rules out a few days a week at Hy-Vee or something. So, I've thought of something that might support me through school.
I'm in a band and we have a ton of equipment that rivals most HIGHLY succesful bands. We only play out every other weekend which leaves the equipment sitting there the other weekends. My game plan is to start a DJ Service. Problems isn't the equipment, it's the getting started and job it self.

If I do this 4-10 times a month, do I need to worry about taxes? Should I get a business license? I don't know anything about the laws pertaing to this. Also, what are some of the start up costs you all can think off.
This is what I got.
Advertising, More CD's, any type of license, etc..... Like I said, no need for the equipment.... already have a Mackie PA system, shure wireless mic, 3 CD Players, peavy 16 channel board, and sever lights on one 10 foot truce.

I need alot of help!!!!!! SO help me!!!!!!!!

Thanks, Jason

"Nothing like coming off the on ramp in 3rd gear. Just let her eat and enjoy the awesome sound she makes. Ahhh, the joys of an SVT."
'98 SVT
S
S
you'll need a tax id, and you'll probably want to file for LLC to protect your arse. I dont think you need a business lisc. to dj. Yes you need to worry about taxes, it sucks, and your gonna take it in the rear from the govt. keep on top of your taxes and do em quarterly instead of yearly, the bite wont hurt as much.. and keep in mind you can write off almost all of your taxes (as in not have to pay em) if you can accout for where it was spent and show that it was spent on the business (food, gas, mileage on your car..)

I've done this in NE so if you have any questions that arent state specific shoot me a pm

-Speed Demon- Matt
Black 2000 Contour SE Sport (duratec/atx)
got body mods?
all show, better than stock go smile
"I might be crazy, but I'm not stupid"
speddmn.com

Link Copied to Clipboard