Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 34 1 2 3 4 33 34
B
B
kinda off topic about whether the earth is millions of years old but it still retains to creation and whether the bible is true.

lemme put it this way to something similar...for example can you prove world war 1 happened? you may say yes, ive seen pictures, actual guns and such from the war, ive even spoken to "people" from the war, etc. however people can give evidence that it happened, but they cant prove that it happened.

in the same way this is true with the bible. jesus had 12 "people" (the diciples) in which they were to spread the "good news". we have documents from jesus' time that give evidence that he actually existed. there has even people (cant remember the guys name..but ill get it later at home) who have saught out to prove chritianity wrong but have been overwhelmed with the amount of evidence that it actually converted them to a christian. also, there is a man (once again cant remember the name, but ill get it later) who actually believed that jesus died and rose from the dead but didnt believe he was god. we have evidence on christianity, but like i said, we cant prove it.

Jim Hahn
1996 T-Red Contour SE
2002 Black Mazda MP5
Latest mods: sho shop off road y-pipe
C
C
Ah, but it is on topic to prove that the earth is not millions of years old. Without Time, evolution has no legs to stand on.

Chad Purser
'98 Silver SVT
Mostly Stock
W
W
cpursor - Great response! But that still leaves the question of the simple existence of the remains. Also, it sounds like some of the disputes of carbon testing are on things that contradict the bible to begin with (ex. wooly mammoth).

Black '98 SVT
KKM Intake
17" Enkei's
SS Y-Pipe
9mm Ford Racing plug wires
Various aesthetic mods.
S
S
Speaking of Dr. Hovind. Check out his website (www.drdino.com), he will give you $250,000 if you can scientifically prove evolution. I know he has intelligently debated many college professors. He poses some really good theories on dinosaurs and the actual age of the Earth.

Stick

98 T-red SVT (stock)#2445 OF 6535
93 Dakota 4x4 (2" lift waiting for 32's)
88 Honda Hawk GT (stock and staying that way)
02 Subaru Legacy GT (wife's car)
C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by D-boneSVT:
I actually had a pastor do a sermon on this the age of the Earth. This is how he explained the existance of artifacts that date back millions of years: Satan is intelligent beyond our understanding. I'm paraphrasing, but he said (and it makes sense to me, also a Christian) that the devil planted dinosaur bones and the like in order to test our faith.
HAHA ... how convenient. :rolleyes:

I asked my sister the same thing (born-again Christian) and her explanation was that if dinosaurs really existed ( confused ) then they must have existed in another part of the world where humanity didn't yet exist and thus didn't come in contact with them. But my response was, if the Bible is God's Word and teachings then surely he would have mentioned something about them in there... Truth is, there is no mention because there was no archeology back then so no one had yet uncovered the dinosaur/mammoth relics.

I grew up in the Presbyterian church, and my wife had a strict Catholic upbringing. She and I have been going over this a lot lately. We've watched various programs on history, evolution, the Bible and religious events in an attempt to educate ourselves either way. At this point, we believe in God and Jesus, but think the Bible is just a book written by man to explain history and things he didn't understand (Old Testament) and as a collection of moral lessons to promote Christianity/Catholicism (New Testament). I believe people like Noah and Abraham (if they existed) and Joan of Arc were all just a bit insane and not really spoken to by God. At least that's how they come across to a 21st century, scientifically educated man like myself. I'm not sure whether I believe in God because I want to or because I'm supposed to, but I do find comfort in faith when times are tough. I don't believe in Divine Will or whatever (that everything happens according to God's plan). Genesis is full of contradictions as far as that goes. Or maybe God just hadn't figured out his whole plan yet. wink

Currently: '00 Altima SE and '02 Maxima SE

Coming up: '03 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6-speed
C
C
not-so-newsvt, I am not sure what you mean by "But that still leaves the question of the simple existence of the remains." Why can't there be remains that are only 6,000 years old?

The wooly mammoth example (as were all of them) just shows the inaccuracy of carbon dating. The 3 parts that were dated had such a huge spread (9k - 40k years) that how can you even count on the those numbers being correct, or even in the right ball park?

More info on carbon dating: Extensive laboratory testing has shown that about half of the C-14 molecules will decay in 5730 years. (Half-life) After another 5730 years half of the remaining C-14 will decay leaving only ¼ of the original C-14. It goes from ½ to ¼ to 1/8, etc. In theory it would never totally disappear, but after about 5 half lives the difference is not measurable with any degree of accuracy.

I am just disputing a method of dating that evolutionists take as being proof of evolution.

Chad Purser
'98 Silver SVT
Mostly Stock
V
V
If the Earth is only a few thousand years old, wouldn't that mean man roamed the Earth at the same time as all the dinosaurs - even the meat-eating ones? Man and dinosaur bones have been found in the same areas. Tough to believe T-Rex and man could coexist peacefully, especially given their vastly different dietary and environmental needs.

As for "satan planting the bones to test our faith," well, one could use that argument against anything. Problem is, if we're just going to dismiss anything that contradicts the church as evil magic, why bother doing any research or expanding our scientific knowledge at all?

C
C
Ok, who is to say that dinosaurs weren't created at the same time as man? We have been taught by evolutionist that dinosaurs lived before man. Why do they say this? Because of carbon dating? Well, I told you before what I think of carbon dating. Also, ponder this:

Job 40: 15-24
15 "Look at the behemoth, which I made along with you and which feeds on grass like an ox.
16 What strength he has in his loins, what power in the muscles of his belly!
17 His tail sways like a cedar; the sinews of his thighs are close-knit.
18 His bones are tubes of bronze, his limbs like rods of iron.
19 He ranks first among the works of God, yet his Maker can approach him with his sword.
20 The hills bring him their produce, and all the wild animals play nearby.
21 Under the lotus plants he lies, hidden among the reeds in the marsh.

I know that it is hard not to get off topic on this subject, but let's try to stick to the original post. The orginal post wanted a discussion on Creation vs. Evolution, with the first question asking for proof of the age of the earth.

Chad Purser
'98 Silver SVT
Mostly Stock
S
S
actually, there are some Christians that do believe the world was created more than a couple of thousand years ago. some people do believe that the seven day creation wasn't exactly seven days. but perhaps just an analogy of how God created the earth. i think that the official theory is called the Seven day theory or something like that. hope this helps...

Spec 23

99 SVT
No Mods (can't afford to void the extended warranty)
S
S
Plus...it's always good to see strong Christians still out there. laugh Keep the faith brothers and sisters.

Spec 23

99 SVT
No Mods (can't afford to void the extended warranty)
Page 2 of 34 1 2 3 4 33 34

Link Copied to Clipboard