Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#292545 08/03/01 06:36 PM
S
sqplus Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Installed the Aussie bar last night on my Zetec. Good things and bad. The car definately rides different but it was late when we(John & I)finished and I didn't feel like testing it. Cornering is improved, the turn in is great. You go to turn and its almost like the rear wheels are already in the turn.

I'm headed to work so hopefully I can post some more driving results soon.

A note on install...its a pain in the @ss. You must have ramps and a vise of some kind. Without those it takes much longer and is much more difficult to do. If you do use the stock brackets(which most people will, at first)the stock hole needs to be enlarged to reinstall the the bracket over the new, much larger, sway bar and bushings. This is also easier if you have a friend to help(Thanks John!). laugh

Any questions?? The great thing about this bar is that it weighs almost the same as my stock 16/17mm bar. It is supposed to weigh less than the 18mm and I believe it. I don't have pics of the install yet but should soon.

#292546 08/04/01 05:19 PM
S
S
I did the install of mine last week. It was awesome. I never has so much fun. I'm a computer programmer and mecanic is not my first thing but doing this proves me I should of never went into computers. smile

Anyways, you need a second person especially if you've never done it like me. Vice grips are a must.

Eh SQPlus, have you encountered a problem where the stock bolts were too short?

I had to cut the rubbers that came in the kit so that it would fit. There was almost an inch too much on each side. The rubbers I got were 1 inch wide. Let me know as I'm still baffled to if I did something wrong...
The control is defenitively better. Got rear tires to squeel yesterday. I actually got scared... I know the control is better but I'll have to control myself now laugh

SoupMan

Contour 1998 GL Sport, Zetec 2.0L
Nice cover lights, Painted calipers/Drums, Painted wipers arms, 24mm AAM Rear Swaybar ... Eh, nothing fancy yet!!
#292547 08/04/01 06:32 PM
P
Master P
Master P
P
We did a completely non-scientific test to demonstrate the effectiveness of the Aussie bar today. We rocked my car back and forth near the c-pillar, and then Dan's Cougar that has the Aussie bar. His car barely moved, mine wobbled all around. His car does have firmer struts, but not enough to make up for that sort of difference.

We also rocked his neighbor's S2000.. that sucker does not move!

#292548 08/04/01 06:56 PM
M
M
Do you have any pictures of the installation? Where to buy and How much are the Aussie Bars? Would this be a better buy than a rear strut tower bar?

98' Black Contour Sport GL Zetec ATX
KKM;No Res;Dynomax Muffler;Custome pedal kit;Custom ATX shifter;A-Pillar Gauge Pod w/Voltmeter,A/F Ratio,Oil Pressure Gauges;Side Markers;Zetec and Limited Edition Emblems;Custom Headlamp & Taillight covers;Tinted windows;Ram Air Induction into KKM;Front Strut Tower Brace;Custom Upper and Lower Mesh grills;885 Fog lamp bulbs;Rear Dome light;Ventshades;Remote Start;Headlamp & Taillamp Strobes;Stereo system

matthewbounds@hotmail.com
#292549 08/05/01 06:01 AM
S
sqplus Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I definately had trouble with getting the stock brackets back on. We, ended up carving out a piece so the hole and the bolt would line up for the body mount. Reusing the stock brackets is a pain. I'm starting to notice the difference more now that I've driven around a little. Corners seem much more 'planted' than before...very nice. The rear end is more reassuring than before. BTW, You'd have to contact Anastazi about getting more bars. I think they manufactured a certain number specifically for the group buy(30?). Outside of that you'll have to mail him. sarigia@aam.com Hopefully I'll have pics up soon. The camera I used didn't save the files so I have no pictures. laugh

#292550 08/05/01 01:51 PM
S
S
I'll try to get pictures for you guys just now. I'll see if I can get a good angle for a picture.

SoupMan

Nice cover lights, Painted calipers/Drums, Painted wipers arms, 24mm AAM Rear Swaybar ... Eh, nothing fancy yet!!
#292551 08/05/01 02:12 PM
S
S
Here are the pictures. There not very good but they'll give you a quick view.

I tried getting PICS of the heat shield and the bolts for the gaz tank bolts strap but try getting under there when your car is not lifted up.

SQPlus, did you have to cut the 4 rubbers that came in the package. I had to cur them almost in half to at least be able to put the nut... I was using two pairs of vice grips to get in on there...GRRRrrr!

Anyways, if anybody has comments (bad or good) about the way I did it let me know. If I have to redo it to get better results I'll do it.

SoupMan

#292552 08/05/01 03:30 PM
B
B
here are some pics of my install too.

i went with the BAT bar and bushings. haven't really driven the car yet, but i will today!!!
http://www.contour.org/cgi-ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=002767

i had a similar problem with the brackets. i just banged on them with a mallet to widen them out a bit, placed them where i wanted them, and used the jack and a block of wood to help push the bracket up flush with the chasis. it worked pretty well with no holes drilled. the bracket just wrapped around the larger bushing without much hassle.

1998 E0 SVT #3128, T-Red

2001 Infiniti G20t
1974.5 MG B GT
#292553 08/06/01 02:27 AM
S
sqplus Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Soupman,
Is your bar blue? Mines black...you must of got the initial batch. I believe those end link bushing replace the black rubber stock ones where the link connects the control arm. Thats where I put them. You might want to switch that around. Thats why they have those washers, more suface area than the stock part. Email me if this is confusing...I'll try and help you out. brantleyiii@earthlink.net

#292554 08/06/01 01:43 PM
S
S
SQPlus,

Just sent you an email about those rubbers... About the blue bar, I used an old spray can I had to get rid of... Looks nice even doh we don't see it. Ehehe

SoupMan

#292555 08/11/01 05:22 AM
L
Administrator
Administrator
L
Careful guys, a bigger rear sway bar will change the balance of the car -- it will bias the handling towards oversteer. If you don't have a LOT of engine mods, you won't have enough power in the Zetec to pull yourself out of it.

Swapping ends on these cars at high speed is NOT fun. Trust me.

-Lance

Lance Kinley
CEG Webmaster
95SE, "Official CEG Beater"
Quaife, SVT parts, ST200 wheels, SS Y-pipe
I perceive you to be a stand-up, rational individual...
#292556 08/11/01 06:25 PM
S
sqplus Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Your definately right about the oversteer. So far, I like how it feels through corners, haven't had a lot of highway time but we'll see. The rear end seems in better contact with the road through corners now, kind of nice. I think it definately needed a bigger rear bar though...whether or not it needs one this big is yet to be determined. laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lance Kinley_dup1, Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard