Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
C
Actually, there is a guy on this forum who insisted that I should stay with my dino oil because of the fact that my 98 has 110,000kms +. Better yet search for synthic oil and look at old posts! Does anybody have the oil bible guide internet site. Please and thanks!

2001 Cavalier
150-175 more kms
per tank of same size
Pioneer 12 CD Changer

SOLD Green 98 Mystique
GS Sport
Zetec ,ATX
885 Fogs mod.
Hi beam mod.
205 15s
A
A
Synthetic Tranny Fluid and Oil. Well, I have used the Amsoil Synthetic tranny fluid for years in Zetec Mystique. No problem and in cold Weather a bonus.
Oil after engine run on dino for 50,000 75,000. Well, I have switched on three cars and on two swithched from new. Experience says that with new cars oil seepage will occur around 90,000 miles and if switched from dino seepage will occur around 1 year from switch. Yes, tightning the bolts usually works, not always. I just switched a 97 Isuzu with 60,000 engine slightly dirty, no sludge, just thick film. Synthetic will clean this up over time and I do expect a seepage to occur, well, actually seeping when we purchased it so may not get worse. Yes, synthetics seep oil at some point but so does dino. No question the start up and protection is worth it. I go 1 year on Zetec filter at 6 months (oil analysis comes back great) but only put 7,000-12,000 miles on in a year. Engine looks like the day it was new so clean inside!

A
A
FOLKS, get with the times. And, more easily, READ THE MOBIL 1 PACKAGE. It specifically says that it IS okay to put in old engines, regardless of miles.

Better is better, and if you are planning on driving a car for at least 150,000 miles as I am, then it becomes WORTH spending the extra money. American society says that we must get a new car every two years; I say bullcrap. My friend's Impulse has 205,000 miles on it and it still kicks ass.

It doesn't matter how 'cheap' the car and engine are, that's an insult. I didn't take it personally, but you should keep an offensive opinion to yourself, unless it is helpful and/or based on factual evidence that since Contours are cheap cars, we should abuse them. Hey folks, I have college to pay for, I will gladly keep my kick ass piece of sh!t Contour for the rest of the time I go to college, while you buy new car after new car.

Sorry you think it's cheap, fifteen grand aint cheap for a college student. Let's be practical.

Randy

C
C
I guess when I posted 6 months ago and was told not to switch, they were just yanking my chain!!!!!!! They provided info. and a website stating that old heavy mileage cars (beware) Not older cars in general! EXAMPLE: 98 MERC WITH 120 000KMS OR 98 MERC WITH 30 000 KMS. 4 TIMES THE MILEAGE!!!! I have used normal dino oil in my cars and put 50-60000km per year! (LOVE DRIVING). NO problems yet!!!! I have tried a litre of synthtic in my car on one occasion, just to see if simply adding 1 litre of synthetic and the remainder of the 4,25 litres in normal oil and I did notice a slight drop in engine tempt! But since I get 250 000 - 300 000kms on all my cars, then I will not switch. I guess I like buying new and it turns my CRANK!!!! For those of you who will be keeping your tours until your kids / kids graduate, then synthetic might be the way to go.

P.S. Who are those lads who posted a response to my post telling me not to use synthetic on a older car that was used to normal dino oil? I believe the website was a "Oil bible site" Who is our expert on oil anyways? Please post with info!

2001 Cavalier
150-175 more kms
per tank of same size
Pioneer 12 CD Changer

SOLD Green 98 Mystique
GS Sport
Zetec ,ATX
885 Fogs mod.
Hi beam mod.
205 15s
R
redhawk Offline OP
OP Offline
R

Kharma is very real and she is one mean b!tch.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lance Kinley_dup1, Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard