Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#289602 12/01/00 09:40 PM
T
tfw Offline
T
A Gates HSN timing belt sells for $15 to $30. I think Gates timing belts are the highest quality belts available.

Some people would replace the water pump also. I did not replace the water pump because it can be changed easily. I did replace the alternator belt.

#289603 12/01/00 09:42 PM
T
T
Most performance /sports cars with the Zetec ditch the cam belt covers !Look at some rally/track cars.It hurts nothing by doing it unless you spend 90 driving off road !(mind you fingers with the hood up and motor running ....ouch!!)

V6 MTX
'Don't p**s up my back then tell me it's raining!!!"
'Its only nuts & bolts!'
'If I build it,fix it,upgrade it or modify it...MAYBE they will come....!
Haines Motor Sports Inc,
Dealer for 'Quaife America' & 'Autotech Sport Tuning'
SOLE USA Dealer for the American Axle 'AUSSIE BAR'...
Get a Turbo for you Zetec from HMS Inc...by 'The Demon' ...www.DemonDynamics.co.uk
..don't talk about it DO IT !!!
#289604 12/01/00 09:53 PM
B
B
http://contour.org/forums/Forum3/HTML/001239.html

this is the closest i could find.

and don't be fooled! the water pump is NOT easy to replace.

maybe i can make a little lifter for the cover. if i can, would others be interested in it? i'm not trying to make money off it, just trying to find a remedy for the problem!

------------------
1995 GL Zetec MTX...Light Blue
Born: July 1995
Purchased: November 1997
KKM Intake
Superchip
AR 16x7.5 w/ Dunlop W-10 (205.50.16)
Viper 500+ Alarm
Sounds by: Pioneer CD/Polk dB/MTX Subs/Alpine Amp
Richbrook Shift Knob
"Recontented" Factory Instrument Cluster w/Tach
"Recontented" Foggies

Soon to be added:
FocusSport Wires (Blue)
Accel EDIS ignition
Autolite Platinum Pro's

[This message has been edited by baco99 (edited December 01, 2000).]

1998 E0 SVT #3128, T-Red

2001 Infiniti G20t
1974.5 MG B GT
#289605 12/01/00 10:22 PM
T
tfw Offline
T
Although I would not recomend it, you can get some small washers at the hardware store to use as spacers. It should cost about 50 cents for spacer washers. Be carefull tightening the timing cover nuts. The timing cover is made of plastic that breaks easy.

I would never remove my timing belt cover because the timing belt cover keeps dust and dirt out. If your car only lasts 100,000 miles removing the timing belt cover will not matter but if it lasts 200,000 miles the dust and dirt will cause problems.

#289606 12/01/00 10:35 PM
T
T
Removing the cover does no harm.It makes the belt visable for wear and cam/crank oil leaks ,which do more damage to the belt than 'dust'.TAH

V6 MTX
'Its only nuts & bolts!'
Haines Motor Sports Inc,
Get a Turbo for you Zetec from HMS Inc...by 'The Demon' ...www.DemonDynamics.co.uk
#289607 12/01/00 11:00 PM
T
tfw Offline
T
Then what is the purpose of the timing belt cover. I know it is not to protect the fingers since the alternator belt is just a dangerous and does not have a cover.

I would have to disagree. It seems to me that dust causes friction and wear (kind of like sand paper & grit).

#289608 12/01/00 11:17 PM
T
T
Legal/safety issues,let the belt dust blow away from the motor,not be confined to the belt /pulley areas(keeps the belt cooler too)

V6 MTX
'Its only nuts & bolts!'
Haines Motor Sports Inc,
#289609 12/01/00 11:27 PM
T
tfw Offline
T
What are the legal and safety issues? If they require a cover for the timing belt because of safety issues why wouldn't they do the same for the alternator belt?

A person that I know got his finger cut off by the alternator belt. He was setting the timing. He had someone hit the key to get the timing mark on the harmonic balancer so that he could see the mark. He had his finger on the belt and the pulley and belt cut his finger off.

It doesn't bother him too much. He still repairs cars.

#289610 12/02/00 02:16 AM
R
R
Quote:
Originally posted by tfw:
What are the legal and safety issues? If they require a cover for the timing belt because of safety issues why wouldn't they do the same for the alternator belt? .

Actually my mini-van has a small cover for the surpenteen belt where the fingers could easly get caught in it. I could understand the saftey precautions.

------------------
1998.5 Tan contour,zetec,ATX
KKM
Focus Sports wires
LUKs(they suck)metal white 9006
Steel mesh grill(looking for SVT bumper)
Dexcool
Mobile 1
15" green neon under dash and seats
Pre-98 console
Code Alarm W/ remote start and keyless entry
Still need to decide on UDP.

1998.5 Prairie Tan contour,zetec,ATX
KKM;Focus Sports wires;Steel grills;Dexcool;Mobile 1;4x 15" green neon;Pre-98 console;Recontented clock and door handle lights;Code Alarm Surestart LX;Tinted;Sony and Polk ICE
#289611 12/02/00 10:41 AM
T
tfw Offline
T
There are allots of safety hazards involved with repairing cars. If a mechanic's long hair or loose clothing get caught in the serpentine belt the outcome could be worse than loosing a finger.

The most apparent safety hazard is working underneath the car. I always use large solid wood blocks to support the vehicle. Before I crawl underneath I shake the vehicle as hard as I can to make sure that it will not fall.

I read several times every year where someone working on his or her car gets crushed by the falling vehicle. The headline always reads "Freak Accident". I would label it "Careless Accident" because it is easily avoidable.

Another Safety Hazard is Fix a Flat. It is very explosive. When the technician goes to break the tire down for repair all it takes is one small spark to cause a explosion. There have been allot of technicians crippled and killed because they did not know fix a flat is dangerous.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Lance Kinley_dup1, Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard