Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
OK, to start, this is how I did this mod. Some people have different ways but this is what worked for me. I also take no responsibility for your actions, if you do this it is at your own risk.

Tools I used:
Flat head screwdriver (fairly small tip)
Thick shop towel
Socket (not sure of size)
High strength glue (I used a high strength model glue bought at a hobby shop)
A good all purpose cleaner (don?t use alcohol, might damage plastic)
A few spare hours
And last but not least a boatload of patience

1) Remove the rear reflector using a socket. This makes it easier to do this mod.
2) Using the flat head screwdriver and the shop towel. Cover the head of the screwdriver and start prying up one end of the metal strip. Be careful not to damage the strip or the reflector. TAKE YOUR TIME.
3) Slowly work your way to the center. Once you get close to the center; start on the other end of the strip so you don?t bend the strip.
4) While doing this you will hear a definite "POP" each time you pry up the strip. This is because the strip is melted to the rear reflector in about 10 spots. In this picture you can see the rear reflector without the metal strip and where it was attached to the reflector.

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1447543&a=10866454&p=47164987[/img]

5) Once the strip is removed clean both the strip and reflector using the all-purpose cleaner.
6) You will notice that the 'Ford' badge is glued to the strip and there are several holes in the center of the strip, on the back, where you can access the badge. I used the flat head screwdriver to remove the badge from the strip by pushing on the back of the badge, a hair dryer might help. Please be very careful not to damage the strip (it will scratch real easy) and take your time. Be patient, It took me about 30-45min to do this.
7) Once the badge is removed clean both the badge and the strip.
8) The badge is raised in the middle ( you will see it when you look at it). I used a belt sander to flatten the badge before painting. I then took my badge to a local body shop that was painting some other things and had them match the body color. You can do whatever you like.
9) Once everything is done I reattached the badge to the strip using the high strength model glue.
10) I then reattached the strip to the reflector, gluing at each point that was melted before. I also used glue anywhere I thought the strip touched the reflector. I wanted to make sure it would stay. If you deem necessary you can use clamps to hold the strip to the reflector while drying, but be vary careful not the scratch or break anything.

Here was the end result. This was before I put the SVT badge on (sorry about the crapy pics).

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1447543&a=10866454&p=47164983[/img]

This was the first mod I ever did and was very happy with the results. I did this mod a little over a year ago and have had no problems with rain, high-pressure car wash, or anything else. All I can say is take your time, be patient, and if you don't feel comfortable with it then don't do it. This was how I did this mod and I know that there are other people that have different ways, but this is what worked for me. Have fun and be careful

PS
I also removed the front badge and had it painted. This was before I put in the mesh grill

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1447543&a=10866454&p=47164988[/img]

------------------
'98 T-Red Contour SVT
#2767 of 6535
DOB: 8/97

'02 B-Yellow Subaru WRX #379
'98 T-Red Contour SVT #2767 (had)
S
S
Looks good, but it seems like it would take a long time and patience to do it. Was the whole intention to remove the Ford badge? Cause when I removed my badge, I just pryed off one end with a small flathead, and used a big flathead to pry around the rest of badge.

I like the red painted badge in the front. How did you do your mesh grill?

14.72@ 92.6 mph
www.modularV8.com

"CLUTCH KILLER" and also recently known as the DRIVETRAIN KILLER
OP Offline
My intention was to remove the badge. I attempted to pry it out but did not want to damage the metallic strip. Doing it this way made me feel better about the whole thing and I learned a little about the car. This was my first mod and before I knew about CEG, so I was unsure on what to do and this was the best route for me.

On the mesh grill; I used good ole' 'gutter guard' from Lowes. Cost about $5.00, time about 2 hours, and only 4 Band-Aids damn that stuff is sharp! I have had it in for a while now and I think I am getting tired of it, not sure?

Here's what it looks like now

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1447543&a=10866454&p=38235896[/img]

------------------
'98 T-Red Contour SVT
#2767 of 6535

S
S
Quote:
Originally posted by 98RedSVT:
On the mesh grill; I used good ole' 'gutter guard' from Lowes. Cost about $5.00, time about 2 hours, and only 4 Band-Aids damn that stuff is sharp! I have had it in for a while now and I think I am getting tired of it, not sure?

Here's what it looks like now

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1447543&a=10866454&p=38235896[/img]

[/B]

I like the grill. I think I just found my next thing to do.

14.72@ 92.6 mph
www.modularV8.com

"CLUTCH KILLER" and also recently known as the DRIVETRAIN KILLER
If your getting bored of it you should paint the chrome red, and the gutterguard silver (I know it's stainless or aluminum colour, grey/silver like the grillcraft grills is nicer)

I've always loved the look on this car:

1995 V6 SE MTX
1998.5 CSVT
1963 Riley Elf/Saab 2.0L Turbo swap
Go to the Photoshop tutorial page
J
JVT Offline
J
Quote:
Originally posted by 95seped:
[B]If your getting bored of it you should paint the chrome red, and the gutterguard silver (I know it's stainless or aluminum colour, grey/silver like the grillcraft grills is nicer)

/B]

This is exactly what I am doing. Hold on
for about another week, and I'll be done.

Already have the chrome trim ring painted
red, ditto on the silver on the grille,
took off the Ford oval logo, filled and
sanded the holes, painted that silver as
well. Also put a SVT badge instead of the
oval logo.

Time to do the lower grill.

John

------------------
'98 SVT Contour with 'stuff'
#1173 of 6535
Charlotte, NC

'98 SVT - modded
-15.01@91.8
'95 Suzuki GS500E
-faster than the above
---wanting a Speed Triple or Superhawk badly
OP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by 95seped:
If your getting bored of it you should paint the chrome red, and the gutterguard silver (I know it's stainless or aluminum colour, grey/silver like the grillcraft grills is nicer)

The first time I saw that pic I was ready to run out and do the same thing. However, seeing a local CSVT with the same treatment kinda' turned me off. I do agree it looks cool but without the chrome ring; there was just something missing? I don't know what to do? I might try painting the gutter guard like you said and see if that changes my mind.

PS-
Thanks for all the photoshoping you have been doing. I know myself and everyone appreciates it. Thanks

------------------
'98 T-Red Contour SVT
#2767 of 6535

K
K
Thank you for saving hours of agony.

If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard