Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
W
W
If you want to bring out an extra set of DOT legal regular (up to Z rated) tires I have no problem, but the fact is I do NOT want to see anyone using Race compound or shaved competition tires.
-Mark

You can do something for Love...
You can do something for Money...
But there is nothing quite so satisfying as doing something out of Spite.
GTExtreme1@aol.com
D
OP Offline
D
Quote:
Originally posted by WorldTour:
If you want to bring out an extra set of DOT legal regular (up to Z rated) tires I have no problem, but the fact is I do NOT want to see anyone using Race compound or shaved competition tires.
-Mark

Then why bother??? Not interested.. I've got my street tires.. FOR THE STREET

I may compete in the GS class that is there, but otherwise I'm not going to bother.

I would really like to hear the justification for this.

Dave Andrews
Black&Tan 2000 SVT 225 of 2150
Bassani.. UNCORKED
davelandrews@comcast.net
"Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know." -Montaigne
T
T
*yawn*
I lay down for a nap, and look what happens.
:P

I have to say that Dave has basically summed up my feelings about race tires. I have them for a number of reasons, all of which Dave has brought up. If you are dead-set against it, please spell out your reasoning. I think there are many reasons FOR it, I can't think of any against...

Tell you what, I have no problems running against anyone (S/C, 3.0, Quaifed, Aussiefied, Whatever) for the open cup. I only ask that you give those of us with the desire to drive, the pleasure of driving, and racing, for the Cup.

The Mark
#464 of 6535
A Few GS-ish mods
B
B
Mark, I think you need to put the crack pipe down and face reality.

Inasmuch as some people will run serious mods to crank up the hp levels - others will want to run stickier(race) tires to suit their wishes. Having a problem with the one but not the other smacks of hypocrisy, especially in light of a so-called Open Class category.

And people wonder why I don't attend national meets....

Dan Beggs
99 Cougar V6, BTR'd

S
S
I don't know if I'm coming but I disagree with using autocross tires because as Dave points out, they are a major advantage that not everyone will have. Propose to allow tires legally allowed in STS.

You can still run Kuhmo 712, or G-force radials or Michelin pilot sport or Bridgestone Pole position, but the ringer race tires are only for serious autocrossers and most folks coming to SZ are not that serious to have separate sets of wheels with race tires.

Afraid you can't win without race tires?

As for the cup thing, there needs to be one trophy for stock cars and one for modded.

Fastest Contour at SZ 2002 Auto-X. 10th in PAX out of 125. CEO of FOGEY(Fast Old Guys Emasculating Young-uns), Inc. Terry Haines, Chairman, Senior V.P.s: (alphabetical)JavaContour, Jet Mech, MFE, SeicoRacing, SVTSTS, Vern Kilburn. If your not a member, yet, wait a few years. I'm not just the CEO, but I'm a member, too. Working with the rank and file to get the job done right!

Historical:
63 TVR (1K in 74), 75 TR-7 (paid cash new), 79 RX-7 (zoom,zoom), 81 RX-7GSL (autobahn-driven),82 Mustang GT (autobahn-driven), 85 Mustang GT (SE Division F Stock Solo II Champ), 86 MR-2 (3rd SE Division D Stock), 88 Civic DX (had 1st born and still owned MR2) 92 Sentra SE-R (all go and no show), 98 EO SVT Contour (FTD SZ 2002). 02 Altima 3.5SE 5 spd!!!
D
OP Offline
D
Cole.. your right, if you noticed I originally intended to have seperate classes. I still think that is appropriate.

And I don't think the wear and tear on my regular tires is worth it.

And I don't plan on buying another set just to prove it.

BTW one other thing.. Race tires are very close to being even for all competitors, no matter the brand.

Street tires can leave a lot to be desired from brand to brand and model to model.

It's actually one of the fairest ways to level the driving skill.

Dave Andrews
Bassani.. UNCORKED
davelandrews@comcast.net
S
S
Dave I'm not saying I'm coming yet, but if I do I would be willing to spring for halvies with you on a set of 215/40-16 Kuhmo 712s to mount on your race wheels for this event. I think a non-moonroof SVT would be faster and I think the later 99 and 2000 models probably handle better too.

Fastest Contour at SZ 2002 Auto-X. 10th in PAX out of 125. CEO of FOGEY(Fast Old Guys Emasculating Young-uns), Inc. Terry Haines, Chairman, Senior V.P.s: (alphabetical)JavaContour, Jet Mech, MFE, SeicoRacing, SVTSTS, Vern Kilburn. If your not a member, yet, wait a few years. I'm not just the CEO, but I'm a member, too. Working with the rank and file to get the job done right!

Historical:
63 TVR (1K in 74), 75 TR-7 (paid cash new), 79 RX-7 (zoom,zoom), 81 RX-7GSL (autobahn-driven),82 Mustang GT (autobahn-driven), 85 Mustang GT (SE Division F Stock Solo II Champ), 86 MR-2 (3rd SE Division D Stock), 88 Civic DX (had 1st born and still owned MR2) 92 Sentra SE-R (all go and no show), 98 EO SVT Contour (FTD SZ 2002). 02 Altima 3.5SE 5 spd!!!
D
OP Offline
D
Quote:
Originally posted by SVTCole:
Dave I'm not saying I'm coming yet, but if I do I would be willing to spring for halvies with you on a set of 215/40-16 Kuhmo 712s to mount on your race wheels for this event. I think a non-moonroof SVT would be faster and I think the later 99 and 2000 models probably handle better too.

Uhhh the Kuhmo's are race rubber Cole.. but i certainly do appreciate the offer and we'll have to see.

oops me bad.. wrong Kuhmo's #. Sorry about that.. food for thought though.

Dave Andrews
Bassani.. UNCORKED
davelandrews@comcast.net
W
W
My justification is simple. I do not want people feeling they have to go out and spend money on race tires to be able to be competitive.
You guys are failing to understand the position I am in. I have to deal with complaints and comments from both sides of the spectrum and make choices based on that. Last year one person used race tires and i received quite a few complaints over it even though he didn't win. The majority of people who are going to be competing in the Cup are for the most part not AutoX regulars, People who AutoX often enough to warrant the use of race tires already have an advantage from experience alone. You toss int he race tires it just stacks the deck further.
I am sorry guys, the race tires are out and it is going to stay that way. If you choose not to compete in the Spring Zing Cup over it that is your choice.
I am not trying to be a dick about it and I know I can't please everyone.
-Mark

You can do something for Love...
You can do something for Money...
But there is nothing quite so satisfying as doing something out of Spite.
GTExtreme1@aol.com
D
OP Offline
D
So make a seperate class. Those of us who do this regularly shouldn't be racing against those who don't anyway. Because of that competitive advantage.

Dave Andrews
Bassani.. UNCORKED
davelandrews@comcast.net
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard