Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
rrxp689 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
In the latest Sports Car mag, in the Fastrack section, they mentioned realigning the stock catagories. Personally, I'd love to see the SVT moved to a different catagory and away from the Type-R and Eclipse which seem to dominate. Granted, I have very little time with my SVT on the autox course and no shocks or tires. But after talking to a few SVT autoxers and seeing the basic advantage that the Type-R's limited slip provides I feel pouring money into this car would be a waste. What is everyone's feelings and should we pursue a change as a group? The SCCA is asking it's members to reply to the rules committee by email.

------------------
Chris
2000 SVT

Chris
2001.5 Dodge Ram/Cummins 2500
1986 SCCA/ITS RX7 roadracer

2001 KY Region and Tri-Region STS Champion
E
E
I don't know but, the only move would be down, to H stock,
in which you/we would compete against, Focii, and Zetec tours/cougs.

granted I think the type-r should probably move.... but I am not one to say
I am pretty close to normal integra's in my Cougar, with no suspension mods

Then again, normal tours, probably feel a little out of place, going against a SVT tour.....

99 Cougar V6 Tourmaline Green: MTX, KKM, Borla Dual...
T
TLP Offline
T
I agree, I have to say though I have only had my SVT on one course and I am impressed with it, I lost to a VW vr6, but was 4 seconds and two seconds faster then the two type r integras, one had mods to the intake and exhaust not that it would really help in autocross, just thought I would share as they can be beaten, I dont think I am a great autocrosser this was my first time in eight years I use to run VW but I dont belive either integra driver was the best. Also I added the KKM to my car and soon the exhaust. its my understanding I will be in street touring, but thats where I would like to be anyways.

R
rrxp689 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I brought this subject up because I've been getting whooped in GS. I'm not saying my driving can't be improved (far from it!). But I've been a consistent 4 seconds off our hotshot Type R driver. In autocross 4 seconds is an eternity. I ran STS this past week and was only about a half second out of first and I know I left that half second out there. We had some pretty well modded cars in STS this weekend too. Alot more stuff than the GS cars (except for the race tires). Anyway, after seeing the cars and talking to a couple other SVT autocrossers I just feel we're at a basic disadvantage in GS. Maybe some of the hot cars can be moved up or we can be moved down?

------------------
Chris
2000 SVT

Chris
2001.5 Dodge Ram/Cummins 2500
1986 SCCA/ITS RX7 roadracer

2001 KY Region and Tri-Region STS Champion
V
V
I am running a 98 SE in the Dallas TX area
and am running in Novice Street Touring class. My times are 1 to 2 seconds off STS class regulars. I to ran G Stock class and was "KILLED" by the type R's . Plus if you want to add the stuff hey have (Strut braces etc) you are out of class. From reading SCCA's web site looks like STS class is where they are putting us. I don't mind eating a Neon ACR or a Honda Prelude for Lunch!
good racing
vern

E
E
Wierd thing is, I just recently ran at Harrisburg, PA
I only got one run in, because of electrical problems(loose MAF wire)
so who knows how much I might have improved,
I ran STS, like normal, and placed 8th out of 9... I wasn't too
upset cause I only got one run in... but while parusing the other
classes, I would have ended up 5th in GS out of 11 or so, behind some integra's...(type r's and others etc..)
So I am still torn, if I run STS, with cars that can spend any amount of money on mods, or stay in GS where we are all sorta limited... I'm not looking to win
any nationals or anything, but i face this dilema.. I'll be upgrading to Kumhos or other tires soon, I'll see how fair then...

E
E
Hey, just wanted to note,
got the results from my last autocross
in Frederick MD.(one of the SVT guys was there. sorry we didn't stick around) http://solo.wdcr-scca.org/Events/Results/fred2.htm

I was 2.3 seconds out of first,(Type R BTW) I finished up 5th.

I still think with some stickies, our cars can easily be front runners
maybe not winners all the time, but at least making a presence.

S
S
What I would like to see is a more generous exhaust allowance in STS. With my SHOshop Y-pipe, at least in how I interpret the rules, I get stuck in ESP (which is REALLY bad being against Mustangs and...)

Of course, I'm just happy cutting 5 seconds off my time between fastest and slowest last week, but when I actually get halfway decent eventually, I don't want to be a sitting duck.

------------------
I don't have a personality. I have an attitude

Ross 1998 E0 SVT T-Red

You can pillage an enemy once, but a customer is an endless resource.

James Oerichbauer - PFPC Global Fund Services

Ross: 1998 E0 SVT Contour, Toreador Red, Konis, Superchip, KKM w/heat shield, SHO-shop y-pipe and rear strut brace, no res, ScotchCal, Moda Sport 16x7.5 wheels with 205/55ZR16 Dayton Dayton tires... more
J
J
Why don't you guys try the new Street Mod class? Check http://www.wincom.net/trog/stu/ for more information.

------------------
John Coffey
johncof@veriomail.com

John Coffey
johnc@betamotorsports.com
E
E
Like one of my posts said, STS STR, and now SM were and are more competitive than GS, at least in my area, and to be competitive in SM, you need to drop more cash than if you were in GS...

SVTcarboy, were you the driver at Frederick?

S
S
Frederick? Nope, I was running ESP novice at County Stadium in Milwaukee. My second time ever, but I'm hooked.

I think I would be outclassed in SM. I think ESP serves as a less competitive class than that. Basically Ross is my daily driver (30,000K a year) that I'm also autocrossing. I do wonder if the fact that the SHOshop pipe was a warranty replacement (no OEM avail) would affect anything.

That's why I improved so much, I have a long way to go, and the worse you are the easier it is to get better.

------------------
I don't have a personality. I have an attitude

Ross 1998 E0 SVT T-Red

[This message has been edited by svtcarboy (edited August 25, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by svtcarboy (edited August 25, 2000).]

You can pillage an enemy once, but a customer is an endless resource.

James Oerichbauer - PFPC Global Fund Services

Ross: 1998 E0 SVT Contour, Toreador Red, Konis, Superchip, KKM w/heat shield, SHO-shop y-pipe and rear strut brace, no res, ScotchCal, Moda Sport 16x7.5 wheels with 205/55ZR16 Dayton Dayton tires... more
T
TLP Offline
T
OK I have been out twice now in my car and the real Type R showed up, ouch, Goodbye to G- stock as I now have KKM. Beyond that I wish we had a road course where I live but I dont. I think the Tour would be better suited with a place to stretch its legs a little. Oh well next is springs and scocks I am 4 seconds off winner in STS I think two of that is me, had a hard time out, maybe two in mods, I will be right there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard