Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
rrxp689 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Had a thought the other day and would like to know what some of our autoX guys might think. I'm contemplating a set of wheels and R-compound rubber for autoX. I'm thinking that by going to a 15" wheel I can (1) lower the car about 1/2" and (2) get an effectively lower gear ratio. The side benefit is that 15" wheels and rubber are marginally cheaper. Will 15" wheels fit (the spare tire is on a 15" wheel FWIW)? And are there any negative effects that can be foreseen? Thanks

------------------
Chris
2000 SVT

Chris
2001.5 Dodge Ram/Cummins 2500
1986 SCCA/ITS RX7 roadracer

2001 KY Region and Tri-Region STS Champion
A
A
Going to 15" wheels won't lower the effective ratio because the rolling diameter won't change(15"/60series-v-16"/50series).
The rotational mass may be less so acceleration and breaking may improve slightly. Now if you used a 15"/50series combo that might pick things up a notch!

------------------
Andy V.
99 SE Sport
KKM,No Res,Duals
Semper Fidelis

Andy V.
99 SE Sport SGTO
KKM,No Res,Dual exh.
17" Cellos-225/45/17 Sumitomos
vannanthony@hotmail.com
Semper Fidelis
R
rrxp689 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I found Hoosiers in a 225/45-15. Seems like it ought to work. Just have to come up with the $$$ now!

------------------
Chris
2000 SVT

Chris

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
it seems to me that you could get the affect that you are looking for by using a lower profile tire on the 16" wheels. Plus it would sharpen up the handling a little bit, although traction might become somewhat of a problem.

Daymond

J
J
If you want to compete in the SCCA Solo 2 Stock category (SVT Contours are in G Stock) with your Contour you have to retain the stock wheel diameter and width. Changing to a smaller diameter wheel puts you in the Street Prepared catgory (DSP?) or the new Street Mod (SM) class.

Now, if you're not concerned about winning or are just starting out, don't worry about it. But you appear pretty serious about it if you are contemplating another set of wheels.

A modified SVT might be competitive in Street Mod or DSP but vehicle weight is an issue. A stock Contour is not competitive in G Stock. The Interga Type Rs are the class leader.

BTW... I autox a 1970 240Z in B Street Prepared in the SCCA Cal Club region (Southern California).

------------------
John Coffey
johncof@veriomail.com

John Coffey
johnc@betamotorsports.com
R
rrxp689 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thanks for the reply guys. John, as you've noted, the SVT is not going to be very competitive in GS. I'm looking more toward Street Touring or maybe a prepared class. I love the car and would love to find a niche for it.

On the lower profile issue...there isn't one. Tire Rack's listing shows the same profiles for 15" and 16" tires. Therefore the 15" will be slightly shorter. Every little bit helps. Thanks again.

------------------
Chris
2000 SVT

Chris

Moderated by  Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard