Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
T
why slotted vs drilled? Just wondering as i need some.

1998 SE ATX
Dual exhaust
Body conversion
Nakamichi CD-40z HU
Sound by Crystal Mobile
Powered by a/d/s M860 AMP
My Ride
R
Administrator
Administrator
R
Slotted and/or drilled do little to nothing for a street car with any semblance of a modern pad compound. Slotting and drilling of rotors is purely for appearance (despite what some of the places selling drilled/slotted rotors will tell you) and will actually significantly decrease the life, and significantly increase the chance of catastrophic failure of the rotor under heavy usage conditions.

So, buy them if you want them so you can look cool, but don't buy them for the supposed "performance" benefits.

It's all about balance.

bcphillips@peoplepc.com
J
J
Get either, but be prepared to go through pads/rotors quicker. Pads, due to the more aggressive "bite" that slotted/drilled rotors have on the pad, and rotors given that warpage among the slotted/drilled type seems to be far more prevalent than among high-quality blanks.

Many folks have talked about wet-weather breaking being much better with slotted/drilled rotors and I've either heard or read this from a reputable source somewhere in the past, I just can't recollect the who's or where's of the information.

Th reason Brembo cross-drilled rotors you see on Porsche's don't warp anywhere near as much as CNC'd rotors is that they are fabricated as such from the factory, not drilled/slotted after the treating/cooling process.

If it were me and I had to have one of the two, I'd go slotted over cross-drilled. There's less disruption of the overall rotor.

FWIW.

JaTo
Overland Park, KS
JaTo@kc.rr.com

99 Contour SVT
#143/2760
Modded to Taste

00 Corvette Coupe
Modded to Haste
T
T
I'm not worried about looks as much as i am about the rotors warping. I thought maybe the drilled/slotted might be less prone. If not i am getting oem blanks. Is there any difference?

1998 SE ATX
Dual exhaust
Body conversion
Nakamichi CD-40z HU
Sound by Crystal Mobile