Print Thread
#248079 02/01/01 03:07 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My car has 75000KM and I just took it in for service. They tell me my brakes are wearing out and by the next service I should get the brakes done. Question- will the SVT brakes work on my car (as in, can I just swap them) or would I need upgraded lines and master cylinder? If they work, what cost am I looking at? Any info is appreciated!

#248080 02/02/01 06:13 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't know personally if the calipers are the same, but the rotors should be interchangeable. Now keep in mind that the calipers for the 98 svt's changed midway through production somewhere around 5/97. I own a 98 EO svt with a manufacture date of 4/1/97. I just got finished putting all new brakes on all around. Front pads and rotors, 220.00, Rear pads and rotors 160.00, now these our oem parts from ford and this is just for the parts no labor. But really their not to hard to put on, you only need a few special tools (under 15.00). This may seem like a lot for pads and rotors but you have to realize these are special order parts. I live 45 minutes from Detroit ( part capital of the world) it took them 3 days to get my rotors and 7 to get the pads, normally its one day. But it was all worth it in the end. The car stops beautifully at 15 mph or 110mph. As a reminder, if you do decide to get your parts a discount auto store, their part numbers are usually incorrect for the svt. Do not trust what they tell you, They realy on their computers to much of the time and not common sense, AutoZone is convinced that their is no differance between the regular contour and svt brakes. good luck

#248081 02/02/01 06:33 AM
P
Master P
Master P
P
Rotors won't bolt up, the retaining bracket is different. If you go with SVT brakes you'd need a new caliper and new retaining bracket. The brake fell is night and day compared to the 'normal' brakes. If you have the $$ and plan on keeping the car another couple years I'd say go for it.
www.batinc.net sells upgrade kits to use bigger rotors, you may wanna look into those as well.

------------------
Perry
Contour-L Admin
96 GL
perryw@bellsouth.net

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard