If you are planning on purchasing Mintex brake pads from BAT, be sure to check your front pad size before ordering. In the BAT catalog, it mentions that any SVT after the 5/99 build date has a different front pad. That is not exactly accurate. My SVT has a build date of 4/98, yet I have the "standard" front brake pads that are shared with the Contour GLs, LXs, and SEs, and all Mystiques and Cougars (definitely a cost-cutting/decontenting move).

I was able to check this without removing the wheel. If you notice the front brake pad diagram in the BAT catalog, the "standard" pad has an extra "ridge" along the side where the pad faces the hub. You can actually put your finger on the pad to feel this ridge. The larger pads for the E0 SVT do not have this ridge.

Anyway, I have my Mintex pads installed on my SVT, and I bedded them yesterday afternoon (thanks to TBoner for providing the URL for brake break-in). Bedding the pads is actually quite fun provided that there is no other traffic around you.

In addition, I recently (two months ago) had my brakes bled, and fresh Valvoline Synpower brake fluid replaced the old (OE) fluid.

Now I'm ready for some fun!

Sorry for the long post, but I hope that this information is helpful.

Happy 'Touring to all...and be careful out there!

Reggie Wallace
'98.5 SVT (E1) - Silver Frost
#5450 out of 6135, born-on date: 4/1/1998
...I wouldn't want to bore you with my mod list :-)