Last night I had this long dissertation describing what I've checked and tried to solve this intermittent hard pedal ( very similar feel as fade), and the AC power went out!!!!! Jezzeee! Wished I'd had a UPS hooked up to my battery string used for my ham radio emergency power. Someday I'll find a deal$$$???
98 Mystique LS v-6 Non-abs 29k+mileage.
Originally thought Fade was my problem, 23k replaced warped rotors and pads. Autozone rotors (Amico $28ea) and Carbon Metallic's made a definite improvement, but the hard pedal creeps in every now and then??? Recall came out for the PCRV (2ea) rear brake biasing. Made a big difference, the rears are doing allot more now. I pulled the rear drums cleaned and lubed the shoe contacts(first time), all looks fine. 27k Brakes worked fine on recent 1500 mile trip, but only a few medium-hard stops.
Finally got around to changing/flushing brake fluid to Castrol LMA. Only had time the other evening to bleed the rears. Tested afterwards braking seemed ok, let sit for 20 min and returned home, Bam! hard pedal??????
Yesterday bleed the fronts and rears again and forget to mention black crud in the master cylinder while flushing and pumping the brakes for bleeding. Had to flush suck out the reservoir (man that turkey baster works great)4-5 times lost track????
Also the first fluid out of the front calipers was very dark (burnt?). Also pried the pads away front the rotors sprayed brake cleaner on the surface of the pads, I usually do this everytime working on the brakes before replacing the wheels.
Did several 70-80 medium-hard stops very good pedal feel and good modulation feel. Later slow speed feel great and much lower pedal pressure required, hope it stays that way???
Ok anyone else had trouble with caliper pistons binding or the pin slider binding?
The sliders seem very free now, not like older Ford designs!
How about power booster binding???
Vacuum leaks or check valve problems??
Dirt/black crud in master cylinder reservoir, normal residual or the atypical part design nowadays (1 penny cheaper than just enough to get by engineering/the ole bottom line etc!) This seems to be the norm unless you spend $40k for a vehicle, but since I'll never experience that or care to, I won't know for sure if their parts are that much better?
According to several studies I've read that this Castrol LMA fluid should help the daily driver and the occasional highspeed smoking stops (not tires) by its LMA design (less affinity for moisture)and higher wet boiling point 311F vs. 284f for regular Dot 3. Hopefully reduce internal corrosion causing problems.
Any ideas, comments or otherwise appreciated
Man I love driving this car, but that's why I bought it. Ford's better hidden secrets!!!Nasser's big marketing goof or is it the VHS vs. Beta syndrome ala (cars vs. money making/status/fad SUV's.
Thanks Paul
N8BUU