Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
B
well I just put a red top in my car along with a new autolite alternator. I also took the time to install the lightened and underdriven pulleys that I have

first 10 minute driving impression, no loads, ie lights or ac and my volt gage is reading dead on at 14.7 ... turn the lights on or the ac and the volts drop at idle to 14 or just under ... might be ok since it has a underdriven pulley ... the weird thing is just with the lights on the volt gage will bounce around when about 3k rpm with lights or the ac on, it will not with nothing on ...

is there still an issue or does the new alternator have to beak in

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by BrApple:
..first 10 minute driving impression, no loads, ie lights or ac and my volt gage is reading dead on at 14.7 ... turn the lights on or the ac and the volts drop at idle to 14 or just under ... might be ok since it has a underdriven pulley ... the weird thing is just with the lights on the volt gage will bounce around when about 3k rpm with lights or the ac on, it will not with nothing on ...

This is normal. My contour changes idle when I turn the lights on and when I turn the lights off. I am more aware of this because I park in a covered parking lot at work (for 8 of the 10 years I have owned the contour). Getting in, (while waiting to enter) I turn the lights on (if the lights are not on) just before entering, and getting out, (sometimes) I turn the lights off when I am at a stop sign/light just outside the parking garage/deck. I have not run a real time scan of the voltage during these times but I can hear the idle speed change slightly.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
B
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
B
well my idle speed isn't changing at idle with an added load, ie lights or ac, what happens is the volts will drop because of the load and the underdriven pulleys

now what is happening is at engine speeds above about 3k the lights are flickering, I see the voltage change from about 14 to 14.7 volts very quickly. now when the lights or the ac are not on the volts sit steady at 14.7 with no fluctuation ...

I am wondering now if the pulley is slipping alittle bit ... but I think not because I get the right voltage ...

could I have a bad ground that is causing the voltage to fluctuate at a high engine speed ...

any other ideas? if it is the pullies I might just take them out ...

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
"...could I have a bad ground that is causing the voltage to fluctuate at a high engine speed ..."
Maybe. Note that a bad positive cable connection at the terminal could cause the voltage to fluctuate too. You may also want to consider the alternator wiring fix if the grounds and terminal connections check out fine.

"if it is the pullies I might just take them out ..."
Only one way to know.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
B
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by Tony2005:
"...could I have a bad ground that is causing the voltage to fluctuate at a high engine speed ..."
Maybe. Note that a bad positive cable connection at the terminal could cause the voltage to fluctuate too. You may also want to consider the alternator wiring fix if the grounds and terminal connections check out fine.

"if it is the pullies I might just take them out ..."
Only one way to know.

much rather not take them out if I can help it ...

well the rapid voltage fluctuation has never happened before, the old alternator was getting weak so I replaced it, I will try to double check my connections tomorrow

just read the rewire how to and I am not sure that is my issue, this has never happened before today ... I have not had a battery light on or have had it flicker, new alternator puts out the right voltage, but at engine speeds above about 3k the voltage fluctuates rapidly between 14.1 and 14.7 volts ...

Last edited by BrApple; 09/04/06 02:30 AM.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard