Print Thread
#1640104 09/03/06 01:24 PM
D
dharnie Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
D
Finally I got around to trying to do this on my 96 Mystique 4 dr with AC pwr steering automatic 4cyl

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1289108&fpart=&PHPSESSID=

Not sure if I should start new post?

Anyway - How do I remove the radio?

Last radio I removed from a dash was many years ago. You removed the knobs and the nuts behind them and pushed the radio back into the dash and then dropped it out from under the dash. (Showing my age here!)

I got the Auto Zone schematic. I removed the shelf below the radio and the 2 screws at the ash tray and cigar lighter.

can't see what holds the radio in!

Any help is appreciated!

CEG\'er
CEG\'er
Hello, the stock Ford radio requires a special tool that you should be able to get at a local auto zone/advance auto store. They slide into the left and right side of the radio, look for two "pins" or "slots" top and bottom of the face of the radio. Push them into the radio, that should release the tabs inside the radio, and you can pull it straight back toward you. Make sure that you get the correct new clips that attach to your new radio. Try Best Buy or equivalent. Heck its probably cheaper and quicker to let them do it for you., but that takes all the fun out of it. Good luck.~Jim

95SE tour MTX Silver/champagne custom dual side exhaust 16" ALT180's Wrapped in BFG COMP TA's 215/50 VR4 16.0 @ 91mph before wheels and exhaust mods.
F
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
F
Two wire loops , actually "U"'s that plug into the holes on left and right side. One of these days I'm going get those. Just did this a few days ago, needed to test my blower switch. Removed console so you can get at the two screws on bottom of the center trim panel that the radio and the Hvac controls are on. I normally can get it out with short tools 3-4inch phillips/torx ended that will push into the holes. By pushing outwards (away from the center of the radio) that pushes the spring clips away from the edge of the trim panel.
Well it would not budge!
End pulling the whole trim panel out and disconnecting the wiring.etc. Even with panel out on my bench I still could not get but one side of the to let go.
finally after dozens of different tries it came out. I think the spring clips distorted just enough, this has been a pain ever since some bean counter came up this design. At 60 the gut(it's really not that big either) and no-line bli-focals all add to my distaine for automotive interiors.

Paul

Paul 98 Mystique LS 2ea (07/97)(08/98)

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard