Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
GoodSon Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I think I have two seperate issues to deal with. I am a mustang guy and have owned several the past 25 years. The contour is my mom's that I'm trying to freshen up for her.

The car is a 96 V6 Duratec Contour with 68K miles. First, is the check engine light won't stay off. I've ran codes several times with different scanners and it says no codes. Everytime I run for codes the CE light goes off, but comes on again after a couple of miles. I've also disconnected the battery with a door open to clear codes, reconnected it and the CE light would still come on after a couple of miles. Any opinions other than pulling the fuse???

The 2nd issue is really bugging me. There is a loud hum noise comming through the air box when the car gets warm (Kinda like a vacum cleaner). I checked the filter which looked new, but the noise was louder than the car itself with the airbox open. Also, the noise does NOT change if I rev the engine. There is also a little vibration at the black tubbing between the MAF and intake (TB maybe). I believe this is the source. Any ideas???

Thanks in advance.

G
GoodSon Offline OP
OP Offline
G
OK. After a little searching, I think the car has a Moosing issue which kinda sounds like my 2nd issue. The car still has the original 96 stock setup with resonator. Is the 97 fix the better of the two, or shoud I change it to a newer model setup? Also, what are the consequences of doing nothing?

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Sometimes you can get rid of the mose by simply cleaning the throttle IAC and throttle body. None of the factory cures were completely effective.

You may want to check the FAQ section and look into the throttle hang cure which also tends to mitigate the moose. You may not want to apply it to your mom's car though as it sometimes causes a little cold weather cold start instability (read that as stall on cold start in the coldest weather). For many of us that isn't such a big deal, but it could be for a non enthusiast driver.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by GoodSon:
..The car is a 96 V6 Duratec Contour with 68K miles. First, is the check engine light won't stay off. I've ran codes several times with different scanners and it says no codes. Everytime I run for codes the CE light goes off, but comes on again after a couple of miles. I've also disconnected the battery with a door open to clear codes, reconnected it and the CE light would still come on after a couple of miles. Any opinions other than pulling the fuse???

The 2nd issue is really bugging me. There is a loud hum noise comming through the air box when the car gets warm (Kinda like a vacum cleaner)...

Welcome . What transmission?

First issue. Continue scannning until you get the codes. Also check if Fuse 11 is loose. Tighten the fuse holder.

Second issue. Yes, it is the moose. If auto, don't get the bagpipe fix (96 fix). With 96 fix, you can't check the tranny fluid unless you modify the piping. Get the 97 fix with 45 degree pipe and IAC valve.

Lots of good info here

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard