Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
G
Is this a common problem on the SVT Duratec? I've been fighting this problem ever since I've owned the car (2000 CSVT). It leaks the worse at initial startup. Oil pressure is typically around 80 PSI or a little higher. It also drips onto the Y pipe during interstate cruize. It is nothing more than an annoyance. Doesn't use 1/2 a quart beween oil changes. The only thing I can do to lessen the problem is tighten the hell out of the oil filter. And I mean TIGHT! This high oil pressure was actually the demise of my old 2.5 when I had blown off the oil filter after starting it up and then going to brisk acceleration. I made sure that the oil filler adapter was tight in the block. Made sure that it was flat on the maiting surface. Even took emery cloth to it. I've experamented with different oils. Thinner oils - like 5w20 - tend to leak more. But that is what ford recomendes. They had problems with thicker oils causing some wierd wearing pattern on the pressure releif valve on early Duratecs (my 3L happens to be out of a 96 Taurus). I had thought maybe that happend to my pump but after taking it appart their was no sign of excessive wear. A guy at work thought that their was water that froze in the valve. I don't believe this because I change oil far too often. I also messed with different oil filters. I usually buy Motorcraft filters because they are quality filters and can be had at Wal Mart* for about $2.50. They sold them for less than we bought them for! THen I tried a Wix. Seemed not to lead as bad. Then again I may have just tightened it more. Now I tried a K&N and it leaks just as bad. Maybe this is my last option. I guess I can always use the bolt to losen up my Ã?BER tight filter. Maybe someone knows of a better sealing gasket for the oil filter....

I dunno any suggestions?

*Wal Mart is an evil empire and I don't like shopping there if at all possible.

The ONLY 96 (engine) 3L Build 'em fast. Spray 'em faster. ricehatersclub.com
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Do you dab some oil on the oil filter gasket before installing the oil filter?

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
i have the same problem when i let some body install my oil filter buth when i doo no problem only need to retight and is all

http://www.cardomain.com/profile/svtmexicali Contour SVT 98 #1862 of 6535 born 06/11/1997 9.20 1/8 mile semi slick www.rudos-racing.com
G
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by Tony2005:
Do you dab some oil on the oil filter gasket before installing the oil filter?

Yep. I always place the old o-ring on the new o ring. That way it lubricates it and I verify that it is the correct filter.

BTW with the fall season comming in, this is only gonna get worse....

The ONLY 96 (engine) 3L Build 'em fast. Spray 'em faster. ricehatersclub.com

Link Copied to Clipboard