Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
V
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
V
Recently I changed out the headagasket so most of the car was all apart. About a week after I finished i smell a burning plastic smell, finally pinpoint it as the alternator mega fuse. The passenger side part of it the nut wasnt all the way tight and that side the case is all metled. it even manged to burn its way about 1/4 of the way through the screw.

My question is did this happen from the nut not being tightened all the way and leaning against the plastic or would this be from improper wiring of the alt. everything looks okay with the alt and the car never had a problem with charging.

98 contour 2.0
F
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
F
Ah yes high current and loose connections don't mix. DC or AC Just smallest increase in resistance above 0 ohms turns into heat.
This the same thing that happens to connector on the blower resistor pack. The bk/bl lead spade looses tension and zttttt!
Cost cutting/using the wrong type of connector.

Thanks for sharing.
Paul

Paul 98 Mystique LS 2ea (07/97)(08/98)
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
I Had this happen to me last Feb, except mine burnt all the way through and left me stranded on the highway. I forgot the fuse was there and assumed it was the alternator. After I got it apart and had my alternator checked out I remembered about the fuse. The fuse and replacement wire was $93 from the dealer, but I got one at a salvage yard for $5.

Mike C T-Red 99 csvt #490 No longer a dailer driver
V
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
V
you think I'll need to replace the plastic fuse case?...i was looking online the fuse is going to be around $10. i just wanta make sure things are good next time. I'm thinking i can just epoxy a new screw over there, cause i know ford would love to take my money on that part.

98 contour 2.0
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
I'd just got find one from the junkyard. You can use the one off the zetec, its the same, and a lot easier to get to.

Mike C T-Red 99 csvt #490 No longer a dailer driver
V
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
V
no junk yards close

98 contour 2.0
V
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
V
think i'll be alright just expoying a screw in the plastic case? ten bolting it down

98 contour 2.0
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Maybe, if the wires to the fuse are bolted tightly, and free of tarnish. Make sure it's insulated.

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
link to new
you should be able to buy these parts at a local auto parts store

2000 svt contour 1996 oldsmobile eighty-eight

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard