Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
My neighbor is working on building another hotrod, this one is a 1947 Ford... The top is going to be fiberglass, but he wants it to be backed by wood paneling. Problem is, everything we've tried to stick the two together doesn't hold up when it goes out in the sunlight. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to use to hold the two together?

I think the main reason they don't wanna stick together is they both expand/contract at different rates, so it has to be something that would be somewhat flexible...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1999 Mystique LS V6 Alpine CDA-9807, Rear deck sub, Opt. TB, K&N RU-3530/MAF adaptor, custom heatshield, FSVT 17's, SCT 4-program chip, Eibach's/ST200's, Hella Fogs...
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Different types of material expand and contract at different rates when they are heated and cooled. Something flexible like window or bath tub silicone might work because it stays flexible. I don't know how well the silicone will hold up in the heat of the sun.

N
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
N
I was thinking maybe some contact cement?

98 CSVT Black Alpine CDA 7995 Memphis 1000D & Alpine MRV T302 2 Orion 12's HPP Rear Strut Bar
I
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I
Having replaced the wood floor in my boat (which was previously fiberglass covered), I didn't have ANY problems getting the glass/resin to stick. Does the wood have some sort of coating/finish applied to it? The boat has sat outside all this summer w/ the new floor exposed to direct sunlight and 107° temps w/ no failure or separation. Maybe he should lay down a layer of resin only as a base coat/sealer, and after that has dried, scuff it up and begin layering w/ glass and resin.

BrApple-its all in the way it is presented...but everythign on my resume is all me TexasRealtor-I hope you spelling improves on your resume. MxRacer-ladies and gentlemen, welcome to ironyville. population, texasrelator.
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by 99Mystique ATX:
My neighbor is working on building another hotrod, this one is a 1947 Ford... The top is going to be fiberglass, but he wants it to be backed by wood paneling. Problem is, everything we've tried to stick the two together doesn't hold up when it goes out in the sunlight. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to use to hold the two together?

I think the main reason they don't wanna stick together is they both expand/contract at different rates, so it has to be something that would be somewhat flexible...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A quality epoxy resin.

You can search the internet and buy it by the gallong but it may run you close to $100 for that much.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black

Link Copied to Clipboard