Next Thread
Print Thread
#1639263 09/01/06 02:35 AM
M
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
I just purchased a Hayden cooler that I'm planning to install to supplement my existing cooler. I was looking at the cooler lines to the radiator, and I see nothing that indicates the flow direction. In other words, which line is "in" and which one is "out"?

It wouldn't matter if I were simply installing the cooler alone, but I want to install it so that the fluid goes from the tranny, through the stock cooler, then through the auxiliary cooler, and then back to the tranny. A picture with labels would be extremely helpful.

Any advice is appreciated.

A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Top connection feeds to the cooler, bottom returns to the trans. To do what you want, you disconnect the bottom connection and mount the cooler in between there.

1998 Mystique LS: -2.5 Duratec ATX -Vibrant White -------------------- =Pics= =Info=
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
It really doesnt matter which line you cut, they both are going to do the same thing.

1998.5 SVT contour #5979 3L 1995 Mercury Mystique 2.5L auto, all ghetto fo sho
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
My thought was that under certain conditions it's possible for an external cooler to cool the ATF below the temp of the engine coolant. So if you send it through the external cooler then through the original cooler it might actually heat the fluid up and be working against you....that's why i did it the same way that the original poster was planning. But i have to admit that i don't know typical temps for ATF or engine coolant...so i don't even know if that line of thought is correct...

1998 Mystique LS: -2.5 Duratec ATX -Vibrant White -------------------- =Pics= =Info=
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by amarv12:
My thought was that under certain conditions it's possible for an external cooler to cool the ATF below the temp of the engine coolant. So if you send it through the external cooler then through the original cooler it might actually heat the fluid up and be working against you....that's why i did it the same way that the original poster was planning. But i have to admit that i don't know typical temps for ATF or engine coolant...so i don't even know if that line of thought is correct...

The integral radiator cooler will be running around 160-200 F, depending on ambient and operating conditions. Normal tranny fluid temps should be 190-220F on the high end. If the fluid is too cool, the computer will not command torque converter lockup.

If cooler climates, an external cooler that exits directly into the transmission may cool the fluid too much and prevent TC lockup aversly affecting fuel economy.

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by projectSHO89:
Originally posted by amarv12:

The integral radiator cooler will be running around 160-200 F, depending on ambient and operating conditions. Normal tranny fluid temps should be 190-220F on the high end. If the fluid is too cool, the computer will not command torque converter lockup.

If cooler climates, an external cooler that exits directly into the transmission may cool the fluid too much and prevent TC lockup aversly affecting fuel economy.

Steve

Hence why I said it doesnt matter what line you cut. I cut the front one cuz it was easier to get to.

1998.5 SVT contour #5979 3L 1995 Mercury Mystique 2.5L auto, all ghetto fo sho
M
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
Are the cooler lines the ones that connect near the bottom of the radiator on the passenger side? I think I see where I need to cut, I just want to confirm.

Also, should the Hayden kit include all of the necessary fittings? And will it be a problem to mount the cooler in front of the AC condensor? I could remove that if it made things easier, I have never once used my air in six years of owning this car.

M
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
A picture would be of enormous help here. I'm thinking of doing a how-to writeup along with step by step pictures when I do mine, I just need some guidance to get started.

A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Clicky!

Unisys and others were kind enough to put together a FAQ...scroll down, Hector did a drawing of the lines.

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard