Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Tony25 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Ok i noticed that my car would want to cut out at red lights ect but if i put it in nutral and give a little gas it would return to normal. But last night i was driving home and it started to idle funny when i came up to a red light now it wont start at all it acts like it wants to but just doesent. Also i notice that the heat when i out it on there is no air that comes out of the vents now. Could it be the ignition coil?Besides wanting to cut out it ran great at higher speeds or when i wasent coming to a stop.

T
Tony25 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Forgot to mention its a 98 Contour SE.

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Welcome to CEG The first thing to do is scan for codes. If you can get to the auto parts store, you could pick up an OBD2 scanner. The stalling could be the coil, crank sensor, a bad battery, fuel pump, etc. Is your engine a Duratec 2.5 or a Zetec 4Cyl?

T
Tony25 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Its a zetec 4cyl. Its in a neiborhood about 10 miles from me. No check engine light came on at all.

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
It could be the timing belt slipped, as well. You should tow it home...

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Welcome . How old and how many miles on the battery and alternator?

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
T
Tony25 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally posted by FavoriteMystaque:
It could be the timing belt slipped, as well. You should tow it home...

I think thats what happened the altinator is new the battery new i just put on a new serpintine belt tensenger and water pump as well recently. The timing belt is new also ( 1 year ) but the bottom right hand pully is realy loose whats the name of this pully? When i try to start the car the belt is realy loose due to this broken pully. Anyone know the name of this pully? If im looking from the passenger side its the bottom right pully.

Thanks everyone for your replys,

Tony

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Tony25:
... but the bottom right hand pully is realy loose whats the name of this pully? When i try to start the car the belt is realy loose due to this broken pully. Anyone know the name of this pully? If im looking from the passenger side its the bottom right pully.

A/C compressor pulley. Your A/C probably isn't working too well too. If you don't want to mess with the A/C, just get the non A/C belt and you should be good to go.

Figure 11 in Autozone

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Make sure the belt is really on there correctly, the Autozone link is good information .

T
Tony25 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Oh no i mean the timing belt. The bottom right hand pully on the timing belt is loose. Its just falling apart. So when i try to start the car the belt is sliping. Its a pretty new belt though that was replaced last year. Just seems like this pully failed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard