T
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by chemguru:
Originally posted by Toadster:

what apps do you run? i can show more benchmarks

Hmm... Evolution, Opera, gaim, xmms, mplayer, postfix, and about 20 aterms.

hmm - pick a slide
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2795

'04 Mazda6S MTX Injen CAI, 18% Tint, Magnaflow Catback, CPE-MAFc My Mazda6 PICS Toadster's Website
N
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
N
40.781s
P4 Prescott 2.8Ghz @ 3.6Ghz
1.0GB DDR PC3200 Ram

44.5s
P4 Prescott 2.8Ghz @ 3.36Ghz
1.0GB DDR PC3200 Ram

51.4s
2.8Ghz @ 2.8ghz
(same computer, differnt OC settings)

PS, ran slower in safemode!

Last edited by NO 4 EVR; 08/31/06 06:23 PM.

Best mobile phone resource site, especially Sony Ericsson 1996 Buick Riviera Gutted airbox K&N Air filter Modded boost bypass valve
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by NO 4 EVR:
If it is a prescott P4,...

I don't even know, but it likely is. Our IS dpt sucks butt. They buy Gateway or Dell Intel machines only. HP printers & scanners only. MS software only. They also seem to take any/all suggestions from salesmen as far as what the Town "really needs".

It's disgusting from my point of view, but if I was a salesman, I'd have a field day with these drones.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by Pete D:
Originally posted by Toadster:
so many of you think AMD is still in the game...

The core 2 duo is certainly putting the ball in Intel's court. Too bad that many people jumped ship to AMD long ago when it became apparent that like the American auto industry they were selling overpriced underperforming products and had been doing so for years. For the longest time any gamers or power users have looked only to AMD for their procs.

I have no plans to switch back to Intel (in a desktop anyway) in the near future and I know many other "power users" (the people that buy the high margin products when they first come out) that feel the same way. Only time will tell if Intel can come back or not.

Or in my case, by the time I buy again, the performance holy grail will be back in the hands of AMD.

AMD has proven that they are a worthy competitor to Intel and frankly, AMD is the only thing keeping Intel honest.

2000 Contour SE Sport Originator of the Beowulf Headlight Mod and the Beowulf CAI
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by Beowulf:
Or in my case, by the time I buy again, the performance holy grail will be back in the hands of AMD.

AMD has proven that they are a worthy competitor to Intel and frankly, AMD is the only thing keeping Intel honest.

Who builds the fastest processor of the moment has little to do with my buying choices as the shopping price range is typically near the bottom of the scale. I don't ever recally purchasing a machine or MB/CPU combo with the latest & greatest from either manufacturer. When it comes to older processors, AMD generally wholesales their stock at a much lower price point than Intel for comparable performance.

I love AMD for keeping in the game, for no other reason than they are helping to drive progress & innovation in the technology. Also gives poor bastids like myself opportunities to pick up a powerful machine for a relatively low dollar investment. I just wish somebody would give MS a realistic run for their money. So far Linux has been a dissappointment.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
1 minute 31.

I
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I
Is this the 32M you're calculating?

I really expected more from my comp.

36m 56.157s

P4 641 Prescot @ 3.2 ghz w/ 1 gig DDR2 mem.

SuperPI says only 268 meg mem is allocated though. Might try running it again later on a fresh reboot. I had multiple windows open and was still browsing and working while it ran.

BrApple-its all in the way it is presented...but everythign on my resume is all me TexasRealtor-I hope you spelling improves on your resume. MxRacer-ladies and gentlemen, welcome to ironyville. population, texasrelator.
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by IRingTwyce:
Is this the 32M you're calculating?

I really expected more from my comp.

36m 56.157s

P4 641 Prescot @ 3.2 ghz w/ 1 gig DDR2 mem.

SuperPI says only 268 meg mem is allocated though. Might try running it again later on a fresh reboot. I had multiple windows open and was still browsing and working while it ran.

32M? nope - just run the 1M test, that's usually quick (well, most folks here are around a minute) - 17 seconds is pretty darned fast

'04 Mazda6S MTX Injen CAI, 18% Tint, Magnaflow Catback, CPE-MAFc My Mazda6 PICS Toadster's Website
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
First of all, it is not fair to compare my two systems. The AMD was a mid-speed computer in 2000/2001, however, you can compare them to similar systems.

First up, my laptop with the following important specs:
  • 1.6GHz Pentium M w/2MB L2 cache overclocked to 2.13GHz via pinmod
  • 2,048MB (2GB) of PC4200 DDR2 RAM
  • 533MHz FSB

• Now my desktop:
  • 1.4GHz Athlon Thunderbird (last of the non PR rated CPUs)
  • 1,024MB (1GB) of PC3200 DDR RAM
  • 266MHz FSB

• You can compare the results of each to the following setups:

Laptop:
  • Supposedly a ~2.0GHz Pentium M is faster than a 3.2GHz Pentium 4 with HT disabled. So you could compare this to an Athlon that is PR rated at "3200" I suppose.

Desktop:
  • The first PR rated Athlons was the Athlon XP "1800" 1.5GHz. So I suppose you could compare my 1.4GHz T-bird to a 1.7GHz Pentium 4.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, supposedly Pentium Ms are horrible with floating point calculations, so I had better see some Athlon "3200"s beating my laptop!

• Last edited by Big Daddy Kane; 08/31/06 10:43 PM.

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V
    T
    Hard-core CEG\'er
    OP Offline
    Hard-core CEG\'er
    T
    Originally posted by Big Daddy Kane:
    First of all, it is not fair to compare my two systems. The AMD was a mid-speed computer in 2000/2001, however, you can compare them to similar systems.

First up, my laptop with the following important specs:
  • 1.6GHz Pentium M w/2MB L2 cache overclocked to 2.13GHz via pinmod
  • 2,048MB (2GB) of PC4200 DDR2 RAM
  • 533MHz FSB

• Now my desktop:
  • 1.4GHz Athlon Thunderbird (last of the non PR rated CPUs)
  • 1,024MB (1GB) of PC3200 DDR RAM
  • 266MHz FSB

• You can compare the results of each to the following setups:

Laptop:
  • Supposedly a ~2.0GHz Pentium M is faster than a 3.2GHz Pentium 4 with HT disabled. So you could compare this to an Athlon that is PR rated at "3200" I suppose.

Desktop:
  • The first PR rated Athlons was the Athlon XP "1800" 1.5GHz. So I suppose you could compare my 1.4GHz T-bird to a 1.7GHz Pentium 4.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, supposedly Pentium Ms are horrible with floating point calculations, so I had better see some Athlon "3200"s beating my laptop!

• no need to run the 32M test (unless you want to wait for it) - just try the 1M test, that's usually the standard size

you can also try PiFAST - it's much MUCH faster - i can calculate 1,000,000 iterations in 1.43seconds

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard