Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
W
Like many others, my tour is surging and bucking intermittently. I'm replacing the fuel pump (I've exhausted many other potential fixes) as I have come to the conclusion that this must be the problem. I have an in line pump (vortech) and need a replacement that will flow upwards of 70psi at WOT... Any suggestions on brand? Any other Vortech owners replaced their pumps yet? I contacted vortech and they agreed with the diagnosis but they no longer carry the pump.

white svt/ 2 tone leath, eibach, scroth, lunar, vortech can suck my spline driven shaft
J
J
Please let me know what brand of pump that you choose.
Also, can you let me know if by replacing the pump your bucking problem was fixed.
I will be replacing my pump soon because of the same problem and want to be certain before I do it.
Right now it looks like I will be using a Ford pump from the dealer, but I would rather go with something better.

Last edited by jerry3525; 08/30/06 05:53 PM.
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Just use the SVT Focus pump. Easy swap and costs far less than a new Contour pump.

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Are those Focus pumps noisier than the SVT pump?

M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by mcgarvey:
Just use the SVT Focus pump. Easy swap and costs far less than a new Contour pump.

IIRC they wont work with a return style fuel system

Mark 1998 T-Red SVT -Needs more Go 1999 Light Prairie Tan, Se Zetec www.cardomain.com/id/tour4reak
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Correct. I forgot to mention that.

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
They are not any louder than the contour pump...at least mine is not.

-Adam- 2k Silver Frost #939 - 36K Miles H&R + Koni + Mirko + Elky Mesh + Hella Optilux + K&N + LoTek + Mille Miglia EVO 17" + ADC T-28 Turbo + Magnaflow 3" S.S. + exhaust leaks + CEL light + more to come...
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by whitesvt:
Like many others, my tour is surging and bucking intermittently. I'm replacing the fuel pump (I've exhausted many other potential fixes) as I have come to the conclusion that this must be the problem. I have an in line pump (vortech) and need a replacement that will flow upwards of 70psi at WOT... Any suggestions on brand? Any other Vortech owners replaced their pumps yet? I contacted vortech and they agreed with the diagnosis but they no longer carry the pump.

I just happen to have a brand new Vortech pump sitting in my toolbox.

What would you like to pay for it? You can PM me, but I can send it out today if you like.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by mcgarvey:

Also, this requires a tune if his vortech pump is no good. The vortech system is designed to use the fuel pressure their pump provides. If you deviate from this system then you must start all over again with tuning using different injectors, tune, pump, etc.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
B
Learned patience the hard way
Learned patience the hard way
B
IIRC, I've got a used vortech pump sitting in the garage as well that I'd let go pretty cheap.

One of the problems with the in-line setup besides the FMU junk, etc is that unless the pumps are matched for flow rate, one pump will outdraw the other one and usually cause premature failure of the pump that's doing the additional work.

Also, in regards to the 70 PSI statement, that's rail pressure after the FMU so it's not the pump that's giving you the pressure, it's the FMU boosting it up artificially. For my setup, I went to a 255 LPH in tank replacement pump similar to the focus pump, but it will work on return style cars.

Rick

Owner of 00 #1611 Silver (Totalled) 98.5 T-Red SVT #6180 Buckshot77@msn.com Misc 3L parts for sale
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard