Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by PlatoSVT:
Ok, I'm hankering to know how I'm doing on my credit, number wise. My report looks pretty good, everything's accounted for, 6 open accounts, and about 8 g's in debt. But, I've only been building credit for 3 years(currently 21) Should I go with a FICO score, or the Experian score?

If you want to know exactly what any other lender is going to see, FICO is going to be more universally accepted. Chances are that's what a lender is going to see. And, in my experience it tends to read a bit more conservatively (i.e. lower) so you've got less chance of being surprised when a lender pulls up a different score than you thought you had.

But, really any one of them will work. It's kinda like using a Dyno -- yeah, it'll vary a little depending on which one you go to, but as long as you always measure yourself against the same one, you'll be able to see any improvements made.

2003 Mazda6s 3.0L MTX Webpage
2004 Mazda3s 2.3L ATX
D
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
D
So I'm gathering that I should be happy with a score of 788 at age 21?

99 Silver CSVT
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by deftoned989:
So I'm gathering that I should be happy with a score of 788 at age 21?

Um. Yeah. Very.

2004 Mazda3s 2.3L ATX
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Thanks for the help sigma. I went with Experian, but the site keeps timing out when I submit my payment information. I've tried twice now. Should I be worried, or just try again later? I know NOTHING about online fraud and what have you.

* Marine Officer Candidate * My Cardomain Page 1998 EO Black SVTC #3388
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by PlatoSVT:
Thanks for the help sigma. I went with Experian, but the site keeps timing out when I submit my payment information. I've tried twice now. Should I be worried, or just try again later? I know NOTHING about online fraud and what have you.

I personally use Experian myself. I use their CreditExpert program though, where I pay $10/month for them to constantly monitor my credit report for any changes. It's pretty cool in that they immediately notify me of any changes; I can open a new account at a store and there'll be an email when I get home notifying me that someone opened an account. And I get to pull my credit report as often as I'd like. Not a bad deal for a measly $120/year. I was spending $60/year just pulling the credit reports myself once a quarter, so now I can do it whenever I want, and the extra $60 is a small price to pay for the peace of mind of the monitoring thing.

But, anyways, I just pulled my credit report using their site directly. And something does appear to be up with their site. While I am able to look at my report, all the historical stuff isn't being displayed nor any of the statistics (total credit, used credit, etc). I'd say that something is up with their site. But nothing to be worried about, that's for sure.

If you're accessing that score through a free service it's possible that whatever server error that Experian is having is effecting that service from being able to retrieve the data they need.

2004 Mazda3s 2.3L ATX
W
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
W
[I enrolled in privacy guard. It is free for the first year and full of usefull tools. They provide you with on the spot summaries of all beuros as well as an itemized list of inquirys and flags from various creditors. e sure to ditch it before the trail year is up as it costs nearly 100$ to enroll for another.]

Why pay for one when you can get the whole lot for free as I stated above?

white svt/ 2 tone leath, eibach, scroth, lunar, vortech can suck my spline driven shaft
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Meh, I'm not worried about all that enough to spend $120 a year on it. Once a year is good enough for me.

Brad "Diva": 2004 Mazda 6s 5-door, Volcanic Red Rex: 1988 Mazda RX-7 Vert, Harbor Blue.
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Under normal situations I'd agree. But I've been doing a lot of work the past 3 years on improving my score and it's useful to see the direct impact that the actions have on the score. And the monitoring has proven useful on several occassions; I'm dealing with one now where the creditor claimed that I was 30-days late even though I had a $0 balance. They admit they were wrong, but getting it removed from the various bureaus reports is difficult. The whole process would be significantly more difficult if it hadn't been caught right when it occurred.

2003 Mazda6s 3.0L MTX Webpage 2004 Mazda3s 2.3L ATX
R
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by sigma:
I personally use Experian myself. I use their CreditExpert program though, where I pay $10/month for them to constantly monitor my credit report for any changes. It's pretty cool in that they immediately notify me of any changes; I can open a new account at a store and there'll be an email when I get home notifying me that someone opened an account. And I get to pull my credit report as often as I'd like. Not a bad deal for a measly $120/year. I was spending $60/year just pulling the credit reports myself once a quarter, so now I can do it whenever I want, and the extra $60 is a small price to pay for the peace of mind of the monitoring thing.

I recently signed up for their credit monitoring, through PayPal, who were offering the service for free. I don't know if it's as in-depth as the CreditExpert service, but it notifies me every time any one of my credit lines increases by more than a specified amount or percentage, as well as every time there is an inquiry on my credit history. I figure it's worth the free service for identity theft monitoring.

E0 Silver Frost CSVT #3095/6535 Alpine CDA-9851
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard