T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
Originally posted by Toadster:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/08/22/amd_dual_core_laptops_have_arrived/page19.html

However, compared to an Intel platform based on the Core Duo and the company's own GM 945 chipset, the combination of AMD CPU and ATI chipset is inferior in terms of battery time and multitasking performance. Therefore, under equal conditions, it can only be regarded as the second choice - if it is worth getting at all. The Core Duo 2, Intel's next generation of laptop processors is already at hand, and first measurements show that the Core Duo 2 is even more powerful while not consuming more power.

doesn't even compare go Centrino!

Good info. Will the new chip also run Vista?

I still won't pay the premium for an Intel chip based system. Besides, AMD will respond.

absolutely it will run Vista! i have several sytems running Vista right now... P4, P4D, P4EE, and Core 2 Duo

64 or 32 bit Vista?

what i listed will run both 64-bit and 32-bit Vista

Quote:

However, this difference cannot compensate for the 20% performance advantage of the Intel Core 2 Duo over the Athlon 64 X2 working at the same clock speed, which we have pointed out in our previous articles. Therefore, we will not change our conclusions about the performance of the new Intel processors even keeping in mind the upcoming launch of 64-bit Windows Vista OS family.

'04 Mazda6S MTX Injen CAI, 18% Tint, Magnaflow Catback, CPE-MAFc My Mazda6 PICS Toadster's Website
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T

Yes, I have. In the price range I was shopping, comparably equipped & capable Intel systems could not touch the AMD machines. It was like getting a vid card and OS for free.

spec out a system, i bet i can get the prices within 5%

'04 Mazda6S MTX Injen CAI, 18% Tint, Magnaflow Catback, CPE-MAFc My Mazda6 PICS Toadster's Website
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
actually - i just priced out 2 top of the line HP desktops; the Intel with a Core 2 Duo E6600 was $150 cheaper than the AMD 5000 unit

that was using HP's recommended PC setup for both models

AND, the Intel system was available 5 days sooner

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
actually - i just priced out 2 top of the line HP desktops;

You haven't been paying attention. I don't buy top of the line. When AMD comes out with their next processor, they'll be top dog for a little while. Big deal. Maybe they'll never have the fastest processor ever again. Big deal. Top of the line means NOTHING to me.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T

You haven't been paying attention. I don't buy top of the line. When AMD comes out with their next processor, they'll be top dog for a little while. Big deal. Maybe they'll never have the fastest processor ever again. Big deal. Top of the line means NOTHING to me.

so what are you buying/pricing exactly? does new technology mean anything? or are you just ok with whatever is cheap?

T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T

so what are you buying/pricing exactly? does new technology mean anything? or are you just ok with whatever is cheap?

Sounds like to me that he wants one or two steps down from the latest and greatest. Nothing wrong with that. Last machine I built was 1-2 steps down from the top of the line... but then i volt moded and water cooled it so it rocked the top, but thats another story.

I'm building my own phase cooler right now =)

T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by The Digital Slacker:

sweet - careful with condensation!

T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by The Digital Slacker:

sweet - careful with condensation!

Will do!

I plan on letting the system run for a week or so without being connected to a computer so I can see if there is any. I did this with my old watercooling system and it worked well.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard