Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
N
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
N
Another one or the other thread. I have a choice of getting a notebook with either Intel's Core duo 1.83Ghz (non 64 bit) or AMD's Turion 64 X2 (64bit ) at 1.8Ghz. The core duo is a good buy I hear, but it is criticized for not being 64bit and low floating point and high memory latency. And since I do not have a choice of a Core 2 duo, the other alternative is the turion 64 x2 which I know little about. Anyone have experience with these? which should I choose?

Best mobile phone resource site, especially Sony Ericsson 1996 Buick Riviera Gutted airbox K&N Air filter Modded boost bypass valve
A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by NO 4 EVR:
Another one or the other thread. I have a choice of getting a notebook with either Intel's Core duo 1.83Ghz (non 64 bit) or AMD's Turion 64 X2 (64bit ) at 1.8Ghz. The core duo is a good buy I hear, but it is criticized for not being 64bit and low floating point and high memory latency. And since I do not have a choice of a Core 2 duo, the other alternative is the turion 64 x2 which I know little about. Anyone have experience with these? which should I choose?

Both present excellent arguements. While the AMD is a really good performer and probably will be better in the long run due to Windows Vista coming out soon, it wont be the best for battery life... you probably will push 2 and a half hours. MAYBE! If you want something lighter, and longer lasting on the battery end you want to go with a Core Duo. Though they are 64 bit they still give the AMD a run for its money, they perform nicely and efficently without being horrible battery suckers.

Honestly if I had a choice I would go AMD. Primarily because of the pure performance of the AMD, and it would last longer .

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
L
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
L
easy

amd is better for pron

NEED AN SVT REAR BUMPER!!! pm me
I
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I
Originally posted by lsneo:
easy

amd is better for pron

I call BS! My Intel is a pron(sic) monster!

BrApple-its all in the way it is presented...but everythign on my resume is all me TexasRealtor-I hope you spelling improves on your resume. MxRacer-ladies and gentlemen, welcome to ironyville. population, texasrelator.
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
I would go with AMD, it's better. I highly reccommend it. Being able to upgrade to Vista would be a big plus in my book.

Bill Jenkins Team Ford, Internet Parts Dept. 5445 Drexel Rd. Las Vegas, NV 89130 CLICK HERE to order parts Ford parts at wholesale prices
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by Bill J. at Team Ford:
I would go with AMD, it's better. I highly reccommend it. Being able to upgrade to Vista would be a big plus in my book.

Just helped my brother pick out an AMD x2 machine & he is THRILLED with it. Better performance, better buy, & better long term upgradability.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/08/22/amd_dual_core_laptops_have_arrived/page19.html

However, compared to an Intel platform based on the Core Duo and the company's own GM 945 chipset, the combination of AMD CPU and ATI chipset is inferior in terms of battery time and multitasking performance. Therefore, under equal conditions, it can only be regarded as the second choice - if it is worth getting at all. The Core Duo 2, Intel's next generation of laptop processors is already at hand, and first measurements show that the Core Duo 2 is even more powerful while not consuming more power.

doesn't even compare go Centrino!

'04 Mazda6S MTX Injen CAI, 18% Tint, Magnaflow Catback, CPE-MAFc My Mazda6 PICS Toadster's Website
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Bill J. at Team Ford:

so - what makes you think AMD merges with Vista? I am running Vista on a P4D right now

'04 Mazda6S MTX Injen CAI, 18% Tint, Magnaflow Catback, CPE-MAFc My Mazda6 PICS Toadster's Website
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
I personally like my Intel Core Duo in my notebook, it's a very fast CPU for 1.66 GHz, runs windows smoothly, my apps run great, most my games run flawlessly on it.

My AMD Athlon 64, a bit outdated, also does a wonderful job, 3200+ Socket 754, really tough to decide which to get... But if I were to build a new system, it'd be AMD. They are cheaper

Former owner of a 1995 Ford Contour GL w/ 2.0L ATX Proud owner of a 2005 Ford Taurus SE 3.0L V6 Vulcan --Looking for Commodore stuff (Drives, Units, Amiga, games, etc)If anyone has any of this laying around and wants it gone, lemme know --
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
i'd go with amd also.

note one thing i notice with the amd chips go to power options in windows some times when there set on power saver/ laptop in there the chip is only running half the speed just change it to home desktop if or when you need the power my laptop does it and a freinds new pc does it

1996 zetec atx 19.3381 at 71.51 mph 1/4 mile click me for an interesting sitea wbsite you should check outjoined the 100k+ club 5/21/06
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard