Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Pole120 Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Here's the total rundown.

After deciding to use my cell phone as my home phone it came time to set up internet in my new apartment.

DSL + the cost of a phone line was more expensive than Road Runner so i called and ordered up.

Tech comes to install, turns out the jack in my office is an antenna jack and not a cable jack, only cable jack is in my living room and the tech says policy says he can't run a cable along the wall and into my office because it's a tripping hazard. Fine. So he leavs having accomplished nothing and i have to waite another 2 weeks for another tech to come and install a wireless system wich is an additional $8 a month(stil slightly cheaper than DSL).

I have a constand "excelent" connection strength yet i still get bumped offline for a couple seconds about twice a minute.

The tech then tells me i can run an ethernet cable from the wireless hub to my computer and it shoudl eliminate the problem.....but waite, i thought you couldn't recomen i dothat becasue it's a tripping hazard What's the point of paying for wireless if i'm never even going to use it

I'm going to try an ethernet cable tomorrow and see if it ends the problem but this is rediculous and i'm going to call TWC and try and get some compensation(did it with my old DSL connection, got a couple months free out of it). I cna't even us AIM because i get bumped offline and ahve to keep re-signing in

Anyone else have problems with the service or have input that can help me here?

99 SE V6\5spd - 156 HP\157 TQ 15.166-90.84 Totaled 02/12/06 99 SVT # 1571 - 175 HP\153 TQ 14.999-91.88 Born 3/24/99 Reborn 3/18/06 Pietenpol Racing Technologies project vehicle 90 Festiva L 5spd, Blue(not for long), 103k
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
give me a call at home

P
Pole120 Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
dialing now

99 SE V6\5spd - 156 HP\157 TQ 15.166-90.84 Totaled 02/12/06 99 SVT # 1571 - 175 HP\153 TQ 14.999-91.88 Born 3/24/99 Reborn 3/18/06 Pietenpol Racing Technologies project vehicle 90 Festiva L 5spd, Blue(not for long), 103k
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
I don't hear the phone ringing yet

S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Quick, everyone make fun of them while they're on the phone!

Jake 96 T-Red SE V6
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Snakes on a mutha&#^&@^! phone

Vinny 2000 T-RED CSVT MODS: 18" REV model 2 ST200 struts/Roush springs CTA intake Pipe/K&N Filter Dtec Heatshield Optimized TB True Duals w/ magnaflow mufflers/resonators
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Wait .. you're paying an extra $8/mo difference for the wireless versus wired? You're getting hosed, man. It shouldn't cost you any more - as long as the signal is coming into your house, that's all that the company can tell (unless you signed up for multiple IP addresses, which shouldn't be necessary for a home network).

When I sign up for cable internet (soon), I'm going to obtain a used modem from craigslist, which saves me $3 in rental fees. It's not difficult to set up a home network by yourself, the 25-page manual that comes with any router or access point more than does the job explaining things simply. Plus you have the added benefit of being able to run the wires along the walls yourself without having to deal with legalities (this is necessary in an 80-year-old building!)

S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by Rouar:
Wait .. you're paying an extra $8/mo difference for the wireless versus wired? You're getting hosed, man. It shouldn't cost you any more - as long as the signal is coming into your house, that's all that the company can tell (unless you signed up for multiple IP addresses, which shouldn't be necessary for a home network).

The extra money is for the special wireless modem/router that they give you. Instead of buying your own they provide you with one. But considering how much they cost that $8 will buy you one of your own in just a few months.

2003 Mazda6s 3.0L MTX Webpage
2004 Mazda3s 2.3L ATX
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by sigma:
Originally posted by Rouar:

The extra money is for the special wireless modem/router that they give you. Instead of buying your own they provide you with one. But considering how much they cost that $8 will buy you one of your own in just a few months.

Exactly. You can buy your own and tell TWC to

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833124010

Vinny 2000 T-RED CSVT MODS: 18" REV model 2 ST200 struts/Roush springs CTA intake Pipe/K&N Filter Dtec Heatshield Optimized TB True Duals w/ magnaflow mufflers/resonators
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
I've determined that windows wireless control blows nuts.. i've noticed in much better in Win XP SP2 than previous versions.

For some reason windows likes to switch your connections on you even if the one you have is perfectly fine.

So you have a lot of other wireless signals in your area?

Oh.. and buy a wireless ethernet router combo for 40 bucks and save yourself $8 a month.

04 Subaru WRX "Eurosport bling bling fast and furious tokyo drift" "They have diarrhea of the mouth, and constipation of thought"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard