#1637858 08/30/06 01:42 AM
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by gearhead:
Originally posted by loggerbomb:
I didnt suggest IBM because i never see any ads for them,

IBM is now Lenovo. The only thing that has changed is the name. They're still assembled in Raleigh, NC. They are still the BEST...especially the T series because the T stands for the titanium case....very rugged. I use one for work everyday and it gets bumped around a LOT. I've had NO PROBLEMS with it. Of course, I AM biased since I work for IBM.

Wrong!

Panasonic Toughbook FTW! Also noting that the wiki states that they actually make most of the parts for the laptop instead of the ODM done below.

Here's a example of who uses a toughbook: Special Operations UAV...

However, Quanta, the ODM manufacturer that actually makes the IBM laptops (note that this IS NOT/HAS NOT BEEN IBM or Lenovo) also builds Dell Latitudes (not the Inspirons, they're by someone else, probly Compal), Apples, and some others. This said ODM manufacturer is supposedly the best one...

Another example of an ODM manufacturer is Clevo. They build the laptops that are later branded Alienware and some other "high end gaming" systems at the bottom of the wiki.

Last edited by Big Daddy Kane; 08/30/06 01:48 AM.

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V
#1637859 08/30/06 01:43 AM
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Agreed on Dell outlet. I bought a "previously ordered new" (never booted, just refused) Inspiron E1505 for $1239 shipped. Would have been $1900 shipped new with all coupons/discounts at the time.

Personally, I found the 17" screens overkill, even for gaming, and the 14;" too small. The 15.4 is a great overall size.

Brad "Diva": 2004 Mazda 6s 5-door, Volcanic Red Rex: 1988 Mazda RX-7 Vert, Harbor Blue.
#1637860 08/30/06 01:53 AM
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by ZoomZoom Diva:
Personally, I found the 17" screens overkill, even for gaming, and the 14;" too small. The 15.4 is a great overall size.

Correct!

The 17" screen is very combersome while trying to do mobile stuff. It's great sitting on the desk, but that's it. Where it's the worst is on an airplane... not enough room between me and the seat in front, and I'm a quite slim person!

A 15.4" is the perfect all around size, but if I wanted true mobility, I'd probly go for a super light 12" laptop that gets 7hrs battery life due to the ultra low voltage processor.

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V
#1637861 08/30/06 02:19 AM
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
i like the tough book but they cost a little more

i have a 1-1.5 year old emachines laptop m6805

64bit amd 512 ati 9700

i paid abot 1,500 with the warrenty from best buy im shure you can pick up something a whole lot cheaper

it all depends on what you want battery power or prossessor power

i recomend best buy because there warrenty is almost idiot proof but they don't have much of a selection

1996 zetec atx 19.3381 at 71.51 mph 1/4 mile click me for an interesting sitea wbsite you should check outjoined the 100k+ club 5/21/06
#1637862 08/30/06 02:22 AM
J
Flaming Biker Dude
Flaming Biker Dude
J
Originally posted by Big Daddy Kane:

Another example of an ODM manufacturer is Clevo. They build the laptops that are later branded Alienware and some other "high end gaming" systems at the bottom of the wiki.

So can I get ahold of these people to mod my ALienware now that Dell bought out Alienware...I called customer suppoert wanting new processor and more memory installed....and well..it was India....

People suck. Rev it till it MELTS.....
#1637863 08/30/06 02:25 AM
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by Judge:
Originally posted by Big Daddy Kane:

So can I get ahold of these people to mod my ALienware now that Dell bought out Alienware...I called customer suppoert wanting new processor and more memory installed....and well..it was India....

Yeah, imagine that...

Supposedly Dell was going to leave Alienware alone, just be in charge of them. Guess that didn't make it too far.

I haven't really had a chance to be active in the NF since the take over, so I haven't heard the latest on what Dell did to them.

Last edited by Big Daddy Kane; 08/30/06 02:27 AM.

#1637864 08/30/06 03:47 AM
Y
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
Y
Originally posted by gearhead:
Originally posted by loggerbomb:
I didnt suggest IBM because i never see any ads for them,

IBM is now Lenovo. The only thing that has changed is the name. They're still assembled in Raleigh, NC. They are still the BEST...especially the T series because the T stands for the titanium case....very rugged. I use one for work everyday and it gets bumped around a LOT. I've had NO PROBLEMS with it. Of course, I AM biased since I work for IBM.

As a Lenovo employee - let's clear a few things up here. The laptops are made in China, but find me a competitor's laptop that is not. Not a single thing has changed in terms of the quality since we became Lenovo a year ago. I've got Gartner studies that show our TCO to be industry best. The hallmark of ThinkPads is that they are designed to be very durable and resilient vs. the mainstream competition (no, they are not as rugged as a Toughbook, but they are far more durable than a Dell/HP/Toshiba). A 180 lb person can stand on top of a closed ThinkPad and not crack the screen. Try that on a Dell. Plus we don't need to sell fire extinguishers with our laptops.

In any event, keep in mind the T's are a magnesium top and titanium bottom (of which I have had a T23, T40, T40p, and currently a T43p with nary a problem). R-series is T-series technology wrapped in ABS plastic instead of Magnesium/Titanium. A little less expensive but a bit heavier.

For the more price conscious consumer, I'd suggest considering the V100 within the 3000 Family. It's a 12.1" widescreen offering core duo processors. 3000's are geared to consumer/small business, so they aren't as feature laden as the Think branded product (fewer thinkvantage technology type features), but are offered at a much lower price point.

I'm more than happy to share my Employee Purchase info for anyone interested, though fatwallet often has links to good deals.

Jim H 95 Midnight Blue SE (Sold) 98.5 Silver Frost E1 (Sold) '04 G35 6MT Sedan (Sold) '01 Aurora 4.0
#1637865 08/30/06 03:50 AM
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Mine's not made in China

It's made in Malaysia!

Seriously, though, it is not fair to blame Dell for batteries supplied by what is generally considered a very reputable vendor. Sony has long been considered the Toyota of electronics. Blame them for not keeping up their reputation. Also, the reliability reports I have seen do not show a statistically significant difference in reliability between makes of laptop.

Brad "Diva": 2004 Mazda 6s 5-door, Volcanic Red Rex: 1988 Mazda RX-7 Vert, Harbor Blue.
#1637866 08/30/06 05:19 AM
J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
just dont get a dell.. those inspirions and lattitudes are priced for college kids but have nothing but problems.. i've had my campaq persario v4000 for two years now and i have no complaints.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2424902 1998.5 Contour svt #5447 of 6535 B&M short Throw Shifter KKM intake borla catback (truebendz)
#1637867 08/30/06 05:42 PM
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by ZoomZoom Diva:
Mine's not made in China

It's made in Malaysia!

Seriously, though, it is not fair to blame Dell for batteries supplied by what is generally considered a very reputable vendor. Sony has long been considered the Toyota of electronics. Blame them for not keeping up their reputation. Also, the reliability reports I have seen do not show a statistically significant difference in reliability between makes of laptop.

Malaysia FTW here!

I confirm the 'exploding laptop' was equipped with a Sony battery. I don't have time at the moment to find the Engadget article (I'm on lunch), but I'll look later.

Originally posted by JEFFtourCT:
just dont get a dell.. those inspirions and lattitudes are priced for college kids but have nothing but problems.. i've had my campaq persario v4000 for two years now and i have no complaints.

What's your basis on this? I'm not a pro-Dell consumer, but look on Ebay and search for broken laptops. Chances are, 90% of them are HP/Compaq. As far as I can tell, Dell takes it's broken-under-warranty laptops, refurbishes them, and sells them at a steep discount.

I've never had any problems with this refurbished 9300 that were not caused by me. DVD drive died, but that was after 6 months in the desert (replaced under warranty) and my motherboard, but that was because I broke the headphone jack off the motherboard ('broken' motherboard has no issues other than the jack).

This 9300 has seen and operated in +135F (remember, that's the outside temperature, think of what it is inside a non-a/c equipped trailer!) for 2-3 hours straight.

Some of the laptops I never or hardly ever see broken are IBM, Sony, Toshiba, and Clevo (Alienware/clones).

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard