Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
Anyone doing their own turbo tuning with xcal2 + PRP? With group buy that is going on for the PRP I am considering picking it up since I already have an xcal2 and was wondering what some individual experiences were like tuning at home.

-Adam- 2k Silver Frost #939 - 36K Miles H&R + Koni + Mirko + Elky Mesh + Hella Optilux + K&N + LoTek + Mille Miglia EVO 17" + ADC T-28 Turbo + Magnaflow 3" S.S. + exhaust leaks + CEL light + more to come...
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
I have a turbo that is tuned via PRP by Warmonger (prior owner of said car)

There are a few others using a PRP tune.

Burrita
Stilov
et al.
Its pretty much THE way to go.

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
I'm using the PRP for my turbo Contour.

Robert

2000 Ford Contour SVT-t GT28R - 287whp/314wtq @ 11 psi (very little tuning) Cardomain Page Photobucket Page *Formally XxColdAzFireXx*
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
Well, with that list of users, I feel confident that I too shall go the route of PRP. I really am unsure what I am getting into regarding DIY tuning. Is is really difficult?

-Adam- 2k Silver Frost #939 - 36K Miles H&R + Koni + Mirko + Elky Mesh + Hella Optilux + K&N + LoTek + Mille Miglia EVO 17" + ADC T-28 Turbo + Magnaflow 3" S.S. + exhaust leaks + CEL light + more to come...
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
its not something you just pick up...Warmonger has done a good deal and I'm sure he'd be willing to help ya get started...

But like I said, don't expect to understand the whole deal a month after you get it without taking time off to do a lot of learning...(Thats where I'm at right now)

2000 Contour SVT SF - #542 of 2150
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
Is there any suggested reading one could do to increase knowledge of the tuning process? Something equivalent to Maximum Boost for turbo knowledge? I have spent some time on the SCT forums but they dont seem to be "busy" enough. Almost completely Mustang related too.

Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Originally posted by SHOgoFast:
Is there any suggested reading one could do to increase knowledge of the tuning process? Something equivalent to Maximum Boost for turbo knowledge? I have spent some time on the SCT forums but they dont seem to be "busy" enough. Almost completely Mustang related too.

SCT has a book that they sell. Give them a call or an e-mail and ask them about it. I think i saw somewhere that it was $75...

1999 Cougar V6 MTX SVT UIM/LIM/65mm TB, I/H/E, Fidanza/SPEC III/Torsen, Koni/GC's, 19" Icon wheels w/ Pirelli rubber, NX Wet Kit
J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J

"How to Tune and Modify Engine Management Systems" by Jeff Hartman is a fun introduction to the topic. Kind of like a series of magazine quality articles on different topics and cars. No contours or PRP in it though.

99 Tropic Green SVT, Tan Leather, 20K miles, "Nice Twin" (factory stock). 99 Tropic Green SVT, Tan Leather, 28K miles, "Evil Twin" (Turbo AER 3L and more in progress) 96 Red LX, Opal Grey Leather 2.5L, ATX, 22K miles
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W

Go to SCTs forums and just search for threads on topics that interest you. The mustang stuff is just as valid because tuning an engine on the same type of engine management system is basically the same. Mustangs just have a few different features from us but that really isn't much to learn the differences. It is the air/Fuel, spark, Fuel and such that are the most important things to learn to tune and they all tune the same way.

EEC-V is great! I coudln't even imagine buying a standalone system now when I know how powerfull the EECV is! I'd sooner buy the SCT PRP, a used computer and harness and adapt it to an engine, all for around $1000 rather than buy a standalone for up to $2000 without wiring harnesses, etc.

As

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by warmonger:
EEC-V is great! I couldn't even imagine buying a standalone system now when I know how powerfull the EECV is! I'd sooner buy the SCT PRP, a used computer and harness and adapt it to an engine, all for around $1000 rather than buy a standalone for up to $2000 without wiring harnesses, etc.

I could not have said it better myself.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard