Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
OP Offline
J
I put a new timing belt on my '99 Contour. Now the fuel pump does not come on when I turn the key. Is it possible that the camshaft/crankshaft positioning sensors would interrupt power to the fuel pump or should the pump activate regardless of the sensors?

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Welcome . You should check the main fuse, fuel pump fuse, and fuel cut-off switch first before looking elsewhere.

Fuse Diagram

Download an Owners' Manual www.fleet.ford.com

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by jchutchinson:
I put a new timing belt on my '99 Contour. Now the fuel pump does not come on when I turn the key. Is it possible that the camshaft/crankshaft positioning sensors would interrupt power to the fuel pump or should the pump activate regardless of the sensors?

The pump should come on for several seconds when the key is first turned from OFF to RUN without regard to the cam or crank sensors.

During cranking, the fuel pump will NOT be turned back on until the crank sensor has detected the engine is firing (measured via crankshaft aceleration).

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
J
OP Offline
J
Thanks for the info. I checked all fuses and fuel cut-off switch. I found that the owners manual does not match the fuse box diagram, but the one in Haynes does. The fuse diagram link you sent also matches Haynes and my fuse box.
Here is what I found so far.
Fuse #4 is identified as a daytime running light. My car doesn't have them. However, it is a live 20 amp circuit. When the key is on, I can see that by removing and re-inserting this fuse, that R-8 (fuel pump relay) will briefly engage and then disengage after two seconds. during this time the fuel pump does not operate. This is the only time power gets to that relay(for two seconds after the key is turned AND with #4 fuse in place). Fuse #14(fuel pump)gets power duing the initial two seconds after the key is turned and goes dead as does the circuit that engages the fuel pump relay. I checked power to the fuel pump. It has power for the same duration as the other 2 second circuit and then goes dead. The pump does not make any noise during this interval.
This car is a 2.0 DOHC and was originally an Enterprise rental car. I bought it in 2000 and have had no problems with it until the timing belt stripped out. Is there anything that I may have messed up in the fuel delivery system that could be caused by changing a timing belt?
Thanks for your help

Last edited by jchutchinson; 08/30/06 05:11 PM.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard